Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: .user.ini replacing php.ini on CentOS 7?  (Read 16591 times)

Offline cmayo

• Trekkie
.user.ini replacing php.ini on CentOS 7?
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
A tech's comment on an open support ticket provides more questions than answers:

"Regarding the new server environments (CentOS7), the php.ini file will be replaced with .user.ini file instead."

Can anyone shed some light on what this means to me? Does this mean that my php.ini files will no longer be parsed at some point? If so, does anyone know when that will happen?

phpinfo() reports that both my local php.ini and .user.ini files are currently being read. Does one take precedence over the other, or are their directives merged? When they say the php.ini file will be replaced with .user.ini

Any insights would be helpful.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: .user.ini replacing php.ini on CentOS 7?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
You may have been given some misinformation. From my reading of http://php.net/manual/en/configuration.file.per-user.php, it sounds like .user.ini files supplement (override) php.ini settings on a directory-by-directory basis. php.ini files will continue to be recognized and processed, but you can use .user.ini files to fine tune PHP settings, such as one set for your store and another for your blog. At least, that's how I'm reading it -- this is not an official pronouncement from Lunarpages! And it's been around for a while now... since PHP 5.3 or so.

If LP is intent on setting up their servers in a non-standard way (contrary to what apache.org or php.net documents), I really wish they would state so plainly, up front! I spent months trying to figure out why my .htaccess wasn't working right, and finally determined that if you give a valid path, it will skip over lower level .htaccess files and go directly to the final directory! In other words, /.htaccess wouldn't be processed!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:31:44 AM by MrPhil »
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-