Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: How much traffic is too much for shared account.  (Read 2577 times)

Offline MikePL

• Intergalactic Superstar
How much traffic is too much for shared account.
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »
Some time ago I have discovered that unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth is more like a catchy phrase because there are limits on such things as memory and CPU usage. So my dream of my blogging business thriving while on a shared server was gone.

But let's assume that I use Wordpress with some sort of caching plugin (which I do). How many visitors simultaneously (or per minute, hour, day?) can the shared account handle? I am hoping to get popular soon and the worst thing is going viral and then having the account suspended the same day. Bye bye fame :-(

Does anyone know if upgrading to a more forgiving type of server is done seamlessly? Like calling Lunarpages, providing credit card data and being able to receive thousands of users within 20 minutes?

Or maybe there is an intermediate solution? Like I pay a deposit and if nothing happens, Lunarpages does nothing. But if fame comes, the deposit is used to transfer me to a more expensive account.

I hope you get my point: I would hate to lose a heavy wave of traffic, and on the other hand I would hate to pay for a dedicated server and wait all my life for fame to come (and it will not come at all, for example).

Offline hnrms

• Space Explorer
Re: How much traffic is too much for shared account.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
I would also like to know. Every now and then we run promo on our sites and we expect a good load of traffic as well as inquiries/orders through our web form. We also run a few ads on facebook and instagram which also helps gets traffic. Unfortunately, my server also can't handle a certain amount of traffic and it easily gets a 500 internal server error page due to high resource usage.

They suggested on moving to a dedicated server, but does it guarantee that I won't have this same error again and again? :/

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »
If you are going to have wildly varying loads (due to promotions), perhaps you would be better off with cloud computing, where you can add and drop capacity fairly quickly. Unfortunately, I don't think LP offers anything in this area, but you could check if VPS or its successor would do this. If you have a handle on your maximum expected load, and it happens often enough, you could consider buying sufficient capacity at LP, which may mean a dedicated server rather than shared.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline Danie204

• TechTIQ Solutions Ltd.
  • Trekkie
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 11:00:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing your helpful information. It will be useful for us

ritesh.patil732

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:34:41 PM »
I think most of the server allows 5–6k users per day but still, the server never get slow or down. You can change the hosting company while going to the best hosting company who was providing more user without downtime.

Based on the limits Siege exposes, I would set a safe threshold under that and use that as your indicator that you need to scale up. For example, if Siege tells you your site can support up to 1,000 concurrent connections before crashing, I would possibly set my personal threshold to 80% of that or 800 connections.