Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: My sites are all DOWN - 500 Internal Server Errors  (Read 9117 times)

Offline EnglishMajor

• Trekkie
Re: My sites are all DOWN - 500 Internal Server Errors
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:10:58 PM »
P.S. If I'm going to complain about customer support, I should also give credit where it is due, as I did in a related thread.  Laurențiu Victor Vișan provided a very detailed response when other customer service representatives did not. Although his suggestions did not resolve all issues, they resolved some.

Offline Malin Cenusa

• Junior System Administrator
  • Support
  • Spaceship Navigator
  • The World Is Not Enough
    • Solutions Straight from Tech Support
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
Hello @EnglishMajor, thank you for providing the requested ticket ID. I was able to track down the ticket and asked my supervisor to review and address it further.

Next, concerning your enquiry about the possibility to identify running processes, the amount of memory used and the possibility to kill them. Unfortunately cPanel does not provide such functionality. There is similar functionality integrated into the WHM panel, but on the shared environment, access to it is limited to our technicians only.

However, there are ways around this. One would be through shell access which we offer as an add-on. The shell access would offer you to execute commands via the terminal and get a list of all processes running under your user along with the PID's and resources used. This also allows you to kill the processes if needed.

Another solution, which may not work if there are not enough resources would be to use PHP scripts to pass commands to the shell.

A PHP file with the following contents would allow you to get all processes running under your username:

<?php system("ps -eo pid,user,cmd | grep `whoami`");  ?>

A similar PHP file with a form where you input the process ID and it executes the kill command would help you kill a specific process.

Both functions work only if the "system()" function is not disabled for security reasons in php.ini. If it is you can simply comment out the value while you do the execution of the PHP script.

Next, I have also revised your account's usage with my colleagues and noticed that the usage was stable over the past days. There were no suspicious processes recorded and most of the resource exhaust appears to have come from attacks targeting the scripts installed or from crawlers. We also noticed that you have blocked the vast majority through .htaccess which helps keep the resources within limits.

My colleagues will revise more in depth and will get back to you on the matter.
Malin Cenusa

Junior System Administrator - Managed Shared Hosting Team

Offline EnglishMajor

• Trekkie
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »
Thank you, @Malin Cenusa. That is very helpful. I will definitely experiment with the PHP commands you mentioned. I expect there to be enough resources to execute a single line of code from time to time. ;-)

The problem with banning hackers by ip in .htaccess is that they are always reappearing with new ip addresses. Does LP do any banning on a server configuration level?