Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Rather Surprised that Lunar Pages is still using SMF 2.0.11  (Read 14830 times)

Offline LunarpagesClient

• Space Explorer
Rather Surprised that Lunar Pages is still using SMF 2.0.11
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »

Greetings:

I have been using the SMF software for over a decade. I started with probably  1.0.11

The current production version is SMF 2.0.14, which they have reworked almost totally. I had to rebuild my site from the ground up, and somehow the release of SMF 2.0.14 coincided with that, so I simply scrapped the old site totally and started afresh. Been almost 6 months and haven't had a single issue. 

Is there some special reason Lunar Pages still uses 2.0.11

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: Rather Surprised that Lunar Pages is still using SMF 2.0.11
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
I couldn't tell you why they are three releases behind. I did remind them of this several months ago, but I don't know what their schedule is (I'm not on the side of the fence that takes care of these things). Perhaps it's a low priority, and as long as it doesn't break, they want to leave well enough alone. I don't think they've had any significant problems with 2.0.11. I expect to eventually see them upgrade to 2.0.14+. I wouldn't expect a jump to 2.1 any time soon, unless PHP 7 doesn't work with 2.0.

I don't mind keeping my SMF at the latest level (2.0.14), and have had no problems with the one-button upgrade, even though I have half a dozen mods installed and a dozen or so custom code changes (including putting the last DB error timestamp in a separate file, so Settings.php never gets mangled, and member-selectable timezone rather than just an hours offset). Of course, I take a file and DB backup first, in case anything goes wrong.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
SMF 2.0.15 has been out for several months now, and I wouldn't be surprised if 16 isn't far behind. Lunarforums not only needs to upgrade to the latest, but also put everything under SSL (https). LF is getting penalized in search rankings for being http. Supposedly, LP is going to roll out free SSL for everyone, but it's been almost 6 months since they last said anything. I'm beginning to lose hope.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline LunarpagesClient

• Space Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »
^

The latest SMF version 2.0.15 addressed some security vulnerabilities, and works fabulously. We installed it almost as soon as it was released. We haven't had a single issue so far.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 07:17:09 AM »
Just for the record, LunarForums (LunarPages) has been on SMF 2.0.15 for several months now.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me