Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: PHP 7.x?  (Read 9205 times)

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
PHP 7.x?
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »
Currently, most (if not all) LP servers are at PHP 5.6. This version is no longer in active support, but security fixes will be released as-needed until late 2018 (http://php.net/supported-versions.php). PHP 7.1 is now considered the current release.

Are there any public announcements on when LP will upgrade to PHP 7? Are there any tools to help with discovering potential problems in migrating our sites' code from PHP 5.6 to 7.0 or 7.1? How about the ability to enable PHP 7 as a test? I'm sure my own site code will be fine (though live testing with PHP 7 would be reassuring), but I'm worried about embedded applications such as SMF and OpenCart. I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of installing a WAMPP server on my PC, just to be able to test on PHP 7.

http://php.net/manual/en/migration70.incompatible.php

https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/3veusf/how_can_i_check_a_large_php5_codebase_for_php7/

https://github.com/sstalle/php7cc
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: PHP 7.x?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
Just a reminder, the clock is ticking down...

• PHP 5.5 and earlier totally unsupported
  • PHP 5.6 security support ONLY until 31 December 2018
  • PHP 7.0 security support ONLY until 3 December 2018
  • PHP 7.1 supported through 1 December 2019
  • PHP 7.2 supported through 30 November 2020
  • PHP 7.3 release expected late 2018

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

I have yet to see any announcements (my server is currently at PHP 5.6) regarding PHP 7 being available, or when its use will be mandatory. Are there any .htaccess or php.ini statements to temporarily run on 7.0 or 7.1 for testing? How about testing tools or scanners to flag problem areas? I'd be more comfortable knowing that my site is OK on PHP 7.x, when the changeover comes.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline mbchb

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:15:35 AM »
I have noticed that my shared server is showing PHP 7.0 as a choice under MultiPHP in Control Panel.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:29:51 AM »
Is your control panel cPanel, LPCP, or something else? Mine is cPanel, and I don't see anything that looks like that. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to updating all the cPanel servers yet.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline mbchb

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
Yes, I have CPanel version 68.0.37. It is called MultiPHP Manager - under Software. It offers per domain switching between 5.6 and 7.0.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 05:48:37 AM »
It doesn't seem to be there yet under cPanel 68.0.33. I guess I'll have to wait a bit more...
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline mbchb

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:43 AM »
OK. I have not tried it, yet. It doesn't say anything about switching back if there is an issue. I may give it a test, at some point. The per domain is somewhat useless because switching the primary domain will traverse all of the subdomains. I guess you would have to add custom php.ini and .htaccess to the lower domains.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 11:50:02 AM »
You could try it and see if it adds code to .htaccess or to a php.ini file. Either way, if you change your primary domain's PHP level, maybe you could manually put overriding entries for your subdomains in either their own .htaccess files or .user.ini files (if they work for your server). Please report back if you find anything interesting!
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline mbchb

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 05:48:16 AM »
I did test out the PHP setting and it seems to work fine. The present version is 7.0.29.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
Hmm. I'm still at PHP 5.6.16, under cPanel 72.0.10, and see nothing about selecting a PHP version (and no MultiPHP Manager under "Software"). Fingers crossed we will be able to move to PHP 7.x before too long...
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
In a few weeks, PHP 7.1 will be the oldest supported PHP version. Servers still running at 5.6 will be at a severe disadvantage, security-wise.

I have in a ticket asking when my server will be upgraded to PHP 7.1, and was assured that it's somewhere in the pipeline. That's all they'll reveal. I also asked if there were any tools available to test PHP applications (I use several) to see if any work needed to be done on them to make them PHP 7-ready, and received no answer. I am becoming very disappointed with Lunarpages as its level of customer service continues to decline. Apparently it's all been contracted out to India, with the techs working off of scripts and unable to deal with anything more than the most basic issues (requiring an escalation to a supervisor for anything else).

Does anyone have any tools or sites they could recommend to check their PHP applications to see if they're ready for PHP 7?
Visit My Site

E-mail Me