Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: stealthy forwarded emails - add text to body or subject line?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline texwaldo

• Space Explorer
stealthy forwarded emails - add text to body or subject line?
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
I have just begun to use an email address in my domain, and have set email forwarding; but, when those messages arrive, I do not always recognize them as being forwarded.

Is there a way to insert text into the body (or subject line) of an email as it is forwarded?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: stealthy forwarded emails - add text to body or subject line?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »
If the (original) destination address doesn't have an email account, I think the forwarding just bounces it on to the new destination without doing anything to it. If you have the email account for the original recipient, maybe you could write a "filter" (such as in PHP or Perl) that would read the email and rewrite it and send it on to the new address (you probably wouldn't use the built-in forwarding). In the process, you could add "[Auto Fwd]" to the subject line. In theory, it should work, but it's been a long, long time since I dabbled in this kind of stuff (and would have to relearn it). Be sure to browse around this board, as I would think it's been discussed from time to time.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-