Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Case dependencies for email and forwarding.  (Read 3584 times)

Offline turula2

• Spaceship Navigator
  • Peter in DG
Case dependencies for email and forwarding.
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
I use the CP forwarding tool quite extensively and just ran into a new glitch.  CP now demands that the "forward to" address be entered in all lower case.  This has never been required before, and makes no sense because emails are supposed to be case independent, as I understand it.  So I always used case to help interpret the email addresses, e.g., by never using a l.c. "L" or an u.c. "i" or "o" to avoid ambiguity.  Also to help readability as in MrBee or AnnSoAndSo.  This was always OK before and properly interpreted.  Note that in initially defining the real email address CP insisted on lower case, again as I understand it.  I think this started with the latest Apache "upgrade."  Has anyone else experience this?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: Case dependencies for email and forwarding.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 04:39:55 AM »
Is this from LPCP or cPanel? When you say that it demands lowercase, does it give you a message, or does it just fail to deliver the email? You are correct that email addresses should permit mixed case, and this is a bug if it is requiring all lowercase (please formally report it).
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline turula2

• Spaceship Navigator
  • Peter in DG
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
It's the "Forwarders" link on the Lunarpages cPanel page.  I have an Email account:  list.all@mydomain.com and if I try to forward to List.ALL@mydomain.com  I get the message:
(Warning: “List.ALL@mydomain.com” does not refer to a valid local email account or alias. The system will not create a forwarder, because it already sends that email to the default address.)
Note that if I forward to say MyList@Gmail.com that's does not generate a message.
Apparently cPanel looks for List.ALL@mydomain.com and does not find it even though list.all@mydomain.com exists.
This was not a problem before and just started with the updated Apache.
I have emailed   support@LP - ticket ID is 3756348 - but I don't think the tech understands the problem yet. We're just trading emails at this point.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 06:47:42 PM »
I'm wondering if it's an Apache problem, a cPanel problem, or even elsewhere. I'm not sure that Apache itself has anything to do with it -- maybe something in the mail system was updated at the same time. cPanel is a third-party product that may or may not have been updated at the same time (LPCP is Lunarpages proprietary). If it's in the mail system or cPanel (or even Apache), LP may have to wait for them to fix it.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline turula2

• Spaceship Navigator
  • Peter in DG
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
I thought cPanel was part of Apache, but I don't really understand how all that fits together.  Meanwhile I can work around the issue.  It's just annoying.  Mostly I'd like to be able to capitalize at will to distinguish L from i and just to highlight parts of email names.

Offline turula2

• Spaceship Navigator
  • Peter in DG
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
So I got a response from tech support telling me they can't fix it.  Not sure they really understood the issue.  It worked fine before and now it does not.  The forwarder should not reject a forward when the case does not match. Emails are case independent.  When you type an email address you can always use either case for any letter.  It's a programming error if you don't accept that basic rule.

An interesting side note:  you can throw in a period any place you please (before the @), but only in  Gmail, as far as I know.  BigJoe@Gmail.COM  is equivalent to big.joe@gmail.com  or  bi.g.joe@gmail.com .

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
I don't know how you explained it to them, but it's likely they didn't understand you (not necessarily your fault). Anyway, even if they can't fix it (not their code), they should tell you that they're passing on the bug report to cPanel or whoever is responsible for the email forwarding code.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me