Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Lunarpages Lousy Spam settings  (Read 2374 times)

Offline wittsw2

Lunarpages Lousy Spam settings
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:27:06 PM »
 After some 15 years with Lunarpages I have reached my limit with the outrageous number of spam emails and have pretty much switched to gmail (which filters out 100% of the spam lunarpages is sending to me). Next step will be not renew the my service with this truly lousy company. I join the thousands who have left before me. :whip: :whip: :whip:

Offline MichaelT

• Support
  • Jabba the Hutt
Re: Lunarpages Lousy Spam settings
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:19:52 AM »
If this is for the wittswallpapers.com account (based on your forum username) I am not seeing any recent ticket activity or phone contact with our support techs. More than likely, it would only require a restart of SpamAssassin on your account/server however, if you have an open ticket  or older Ticket # you can provide we can certainly get someone to check it for you.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:27:50 AM »
Michael, if SpamAssassin is something at server level that can only be monitored and restarted by LP, then LP should do a better job of monitoring it. Customers should not have to report that it's down. If SA is something that runs under the customer's account and could be monitored and restarted by the customer (preferably automated, as a cron job), then please provide the information needed to do this. I find it absurd that so many customers have spam problems that turn out to be SA not running -- someone/something should be on top of it, regularly checking that it's running properly and restarting it when it's down. I would think that simply monitoring for a SA process would be something a cron job could check every 15 to 30 minutes (ps command), and report it to the operators if it's not something that could be automatically restarted.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline km99

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
If you're having a problem with spam, I recommend following my suggestions to train spamassassin here:

http://www.lunarforums.com/web-hosting-help-and-troubleshooting/why-the-sudden-surge-of-spam/msg429467/#msg429467

I was getting 2 to 3 hundred spam emails per day, and this is now down to 2-3.  :clap:

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
As I also saw a significant increase in the amount of Spam being seen, I investigated a bit and found that the majority of the new spam was coming from 10 or so server farms. Each of the server farms were easily identified as using the same first 3 octets of the IP address. I created an account level filter to discard all traffic from these 10 server farms and the spam storms were pretty much eliminated.

It is also interesting to note two other behaviors of the "NEW SPAM". The domain names were all of the newly released variety such as .racing,  .win, .date,  & .review which also offers a great way of filtering out the spam using Spam Assassin or account level filtering.

The other behavior was that the SPAM Storms were coming in groups from specific server farms. I would see a group of 50 to 60  spam mails from a similar IP range, then a lull for some time, and then another spam storm from a completely different IP range. Again, after watching the IP addresses for a while, it became evident that the same limited number of server farms were involved in the spam attacks.