Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Tsohea is blacklisted by Spamhaus  (Read 3070 times)

Offline mmspooner

• Spacescooter Operator
Tsohea is blacklisted by Spamhaus
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
So I send a help ticket - which means I won't hear back for at least a day or so.
I call the number, press 2 for the option for call back, answer the phone and I'm hung up on.

http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=67.210.119.225

Now I sign on here only to see that other servers are having the same issue.

I know trying to get tech support through the forums here won't get me anywhere, but as a matter of practical logic, why doesn't lunarpages monitor these kick back messages and actively do something about it when they happen? A flag, a beacon? Something?

It's very frustrating to have to wait a week just to get someone to realize that there's something wrong with their email servers. Especially when we're paying more for these email "add-ons" that don't really seem to make any difference.

Offline mmspooner

• Spacescooter Operator
Re: Tsohea is blacklisted by Spamhaus
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
Well that didn't last long.

Tsohea has again be blacklisted by Spamhaus.

Please get your email servers back into compliance PLEASE

Offline km99

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »
I get this from your link:

http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=67.210.119.225

67.210.119.225 is not listed in the SBL
67.210.119.225 is not listed in the PBL
67.210.119.225 is not listed in the XBL

So you've obviously done something right!

I'm curious though, what email 'addon' are you paying for?

All the best.

Offline mmspooner

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:17:19 AM »
@bakdog,

It works for now. Then it'll go down and I'll be at least two days on the blacklist - before the first level tech sees the support ticket.

So yes - it is back up for now. My main contention arrives in the fact that LP doesn't independently have triggers or alarms when Spanhaus gets their pants yanked in the wrong direction. If it takes a couple of days before the first round of support looks at it - then it's not really effective.

The "addon" I was told to use was the MXLogic addon which was supposed to provide some sort of super hero healing capabilities for my email. Which only seems like it works on the incoming spam, but does zero for the outgoing stuff.

It's just really frustrating.

Offline km99

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
Yes, that all makes sense. I don't have the MX addon, but since training started a few weeks ago my spamassassin is now catching 99.5% of the 2-300 spams I get per day.

I don't have the capability to see what domain(s) are or have been causing the problems, but if you keep getting blacklisted repeatedly I would suggest you request a change of server (and hence neighbours).

It's becoming more and more difficult with the advanced spam 'engines' that exist today, but I agree, the more proactive we become in locating and fixing these problems, the better. Much of the problem comes from people being caught off guard and tricked into giving their email passwords away - then the spammers just pretend to be you and send out a few emails at a time (to get round the sending rate limit that is in place). The only way to see that you're sending spam emails is by examining all the emails going out (through the CP email route option), or waiting till someone reports it as spam.

Another problem is keeping scripts and applications (like Wordpress) fully up to date, including all the addons and themes. I run several, but still have to log on regularly to check for successful updates.

I have multi-layered security in place, but still see regular automated attacks. It's really quite unnerving, and should any of these attacks be successful, the culprits can do pretty much what they like with your server!

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:00:00 AM »
The "addon" I was told to use was the MXLogic addon which was supposed to provide some sort of super hero healing capabilities for my email. Which only seems like it works on the incoming spam, but does zero for the outgoing stuff.

Why would you expect it to do anything with outgoing mail? If you read their website, it very clearly only applies to incoming mail (as does SpamAssassin, etc.). The assumption is that you are in control of outgoing mail (which originated with you), and therefore don't need any filtering. Note that forwarded emails generally don't go through any filtering before being passed on, which is something that LP should try to address.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-