Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Web design tips  (Read 7407 times)

Offline kahlan

• Spaceship Captain
    • http://dragongirl.sinfree.net/
Web design tips
« on: October 23, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Here are some of my top bitches when it comes to web design...

1. K.I.S.S.... Keep It Simple Stupid!
This is something that has been drummed into me by design lectures over the last few years. The krux of it is that no matter haw many pretty graphics you have if they (a) don't load promptly or (b) have no purpose or relevance then dump them! Remember some of us out in the big wide world sitll use 56k modems (or worse)

2. Where am I now?
So I've come to your website from a search engine or page reference... I want to see 'x', but I can't even find your home page!! Try to keep bare bones navigation on each page... ie. if you cover 4 different topics then either at the top or bottom (or both) of each page please include a small navigation bar that states topic a | topic b | topic c | topic d | home... you'll make my life so much easier and I might hang around a bit longer to see what else you have to say  

3. Options please??
While I appreciate that you worked for 3 days without sleep to create the perfect flash animation introduction to your site, please, please, please remember that some days I might not want to view it, or it may be loading too slow for my modem. If I can't get to where I want to be quickly if i want to, I won't hang around... and neither will many other people.

4. Unity
Not only does this make my life easier, but it makes many other peoples lives easier too. This means that I want to see a similar format for each page, navigation in the same place each time and a continuity of information.

hmm.... there are probably other things I've missed, but this is a start   Hope this helps some of you creat your perfect, functional and professional looking website of you're dreams...

And please remember to learn HTML instead of using those editers like *shudder* frontpage. HTML is easy to learn and you can get a downloadable tutorial from Page Tutor

~Kahlan
Bright Blessings from
Dragon Girl's Realm

Offline jack

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • http://darkhorizons.com
Web design tips
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 05:19:00 AM »
heheh-"top bitches"...sounds like prison lingo.

Really good suggestions. Yeah, HTML is simple. Still, I find a WYSIWYG editor quite handy at times--though I almost always have to tweak the code directly. To perfect your site, coding knowledge is essential.

Offline MurDoc

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://www.ghost-ops.com
Web design tips
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2001, 05:51:00 AM »
I have Dreamweaver, but i use that to learn HTML tags that i don't know.  

amy

Web design tips
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Good idea MurDoc..

I use DreamWeaver coz I am lazy.

Offline Jarod-K

• Space Explorer
    • http://www.dolfy.8m.net
Web design tips
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
Well,amy, to tell u the trouth, we all are lazy... sometime too lazy for really web work! So we all use all kind of WYSIWYG editor .... No?

Offline kahlan

• Spaceship Captain
    • http://dragongirl.sinfree.net/
Web design tips
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
not all of us are lazy   I use a neat plain text editor that has a lot of added features called 'Edit Plus'.

I think Dream weaver is the best WYSIWYG editor I've seen so far though... still needs its code cleaned up, but is so much better than *shudder* Frontpage...  
Bright Blessings from
Dragon Girl's Realm

Offline Nomad

• Trekkie
    • http://www.lunarpages.com/darknomad
Web design tips
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2001, 12:38:00 AM »
I use Dreamweaver to do "the overview". But for the real stuff I'll take notepad.

Problem with WYSIWYG-editors is that they make screwy HTML, which needs to be edited in a text-editor.

Offline Santos

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://www.dtnetworking.com
Web design tips
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2001, 06:48:00 AM »
I believe only problem with what ya see editors is browser compatability problems which occur and are lot harder to fix.

Just my humble thought tho.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Offline Delois

• Spaceship Captain
Re: Web design tips
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
The latest web design tips are like you should avoid the use of multimedia during the design of the website and the reason for it is that it takes more time for loading and therefore the visitors are avoiding to visit our website. After completing the whole design you need to check it in all the browsers whether the design is proper or not. Do not use the audio in the design. Avoid the links on the images. Check the internal links are working perfectly or not.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:58:22 PM by Delois »

Offline filpa

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:50 AM »
web design tips:

Fast Loading web site designs
Clear Navigation
All Resolutions
Browser Compatibility
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:14:44 PM by Pete »

Offline jimlongo

• Rhythm Division
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:03 AM »
Do wysiwyg editors still rely mainly on table based designs.
I've never used dreamweaver but photoshop code with all the nested tables and javascript rollovers is a nightmare to try to fixup.

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
Dreamweaver seems to prefer DIVs, but that may be down to the operator. I don't use Dreamweaver (When I'm not using a php driven CMS, I hand code my sites), but a friend who is a graphic designer does. Everything he produces in Dreamweaver is laid out in DIVs.

The problem with every WYSIWYG editor I've seen is that they make really scrappy looking code. Unless you go in and manually add comments, it is never commented properly, and often the layout is very unfriendly to read. I fully understand why people use editors like Dreamweaver and such, but I would encourage learning even just basic CSS, XHTML and some PHP. If for no other reason than it allows you to look at the code your WYSIWYG editor has produced and know what it going on.

It can seem quite daunting when first looking at learning CSS, XHTML or PHP - but with a little time and patience it gives you some much control over the look and feel of your page. Plus you never have to worry about changing one thing on a page and then wondering why your WYSIWYG editor has spewed things all over the place.
<- From the ashes will rise a phoenix ->

Lunarpages Web Hosting || Lunarpages Forums || Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline jimlongo

• Rhythm Division
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
I fully understand why people use editors like Dreamweaver and such, but I would encourage learning even just basic CSS, XHTML and some PHP. If for no other reason than it allows you to look at the code your WYSIWYG editor has produced and know what it going on.

Fully agree with that.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
I would encourage learning even just basic CSS, XHTML and some PHP. If for no other reason than it allows you to look at the code your WYSIWYG editor has produced and know what it going on.

That's just the beginning. I don't have a real problem with people using DW, etc. to rough out a page, but then they should know enough XHTML/CSS/JS to clean it up (internally), as well as modifying it as desired to be dynamic (PHP). WYSIWYG editors are time savers to get the first draft of a complex page, but then it should be manually edited and tuned from that point forward. You're not a complete Web page designer if you're confined to WYSIWYG (no matter how beautiful the resulting pages appear to be).
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline logo32design

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
No doubt web designing is the important part of any website.You explain it very well.these tips are awesome and helpful while designing a web.If you are designing a web then you can also design logo for your web.Visit this website to find a large number of logo designs.You can free download these logos.

(Spam link removed - Hush)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:09:48 PM by Hush »