Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Does SpamAssaisin Work  (Read 5014 times)

Offline B. McLaughlin

• Spacescooter Operator
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« on: December 01, 2003, 08:45:00 AM »
I am tired off getting 110 spam mail a day. 90% of it is coming through my website email addresses.
Will SpamAssasin help?
I see that a different web-based email system must be in place to store the filtered out spam. Does this mean that all my mail must then use the type of system? Meaning I can not not usePOP3 sytem anymore?
Right now I have my email delivered so that I can use my Outlook software to organize everything. Does this mean that I no longer have this set up if I go with the other set up?

Ideally I would keep my currect email system, just not have to sort through all the spam.

What do I need to do?

Thanks,
B.

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 09:18:52 AM »
Spam Assasin does work. I use it and only get 1-5 spam messages a day verses a few hundred.

Its fully configurable (you can set its sensitivity - I have mine set fairly low so that the odd spam gets through, but I have yet to see a genuine email get marked as spam with that setting). It runs server side, so when the email comes in, its checked for spam, and either flagged as spam, or moved a seperate email box (you can set that up). Then it goes to your email account and is stored there. So when you download your email with outlook its exactly the same. Spam Assasing gets the spam before it even gets to your email account.

If you want to have all the spam put in a seperate folder as well (called Spam), in CPanel, enable spam assasin as well as the spam box option. This will enable both.

Hope that helps

- Ed

Danielle

Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 10:27:39 AM »
Hi B.,

Spam Assasin itself will not affect which account you use.  You can use any e-mail account system (webmail, POP3, IMAP) to view your mail as before.  Spam Assasin, according to my understanding, will delete all mail marked as spam.

Alternatively, if you want to view that mail instead of deleting it, you can use Spam Box to filter messages to a mailbox designed to catch spam mail.  Spam Box is available to install and configure in CPanel as well.  Using Spam Box, you can view messages in the spam box on Horde via webmail or IMAP in an application like Outlook.

I hope this helps.

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 10:32:16 AM »
Actally.. Without the spam box, it just flags it as spam (and it still gets delivered to you). This way you can filter spam into a seperate folder once you download it.

You have to setup a special filter if you want it to auto delete.

- Ed

Danielle

Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 10:50:15 AM »
Ah, thanks Kata for clarifying.  I hardly ever receive spam, so I didn't realize this was the case that the messages aren't deleted just marked...

For additional information on spam configuration option, here's a previous forum thread about configuring fail and blackhole in CPanel for your e-mail accounts.

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9265&highlight=spam+assasin

I guess that I should feel blessed that no-one wants to spam me.  This is either an indication that I am doing something right or that my site is rarely visited...I will chose the first one, I guess  :thumb:

Offline B. McLaughlin

• Spacescooter Operator
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 03:41:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies!
Have I done this correctly -
I went into the cpanels of one of my sites. Went to mail>spam assassin. Clicked enable for both the spam assassin and the box.
I went into the "configuring" section but I did not change anything.
Do I need to do anything else?
Do I need to set up a imap account?
I did not see anything that lets me choose between blackhole and sending it back.

B.

Offline jojooboo

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.fflschedules.com/
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 04:52:38 PM »
You need to use IMAP or a webmail client like Horde in order to see what gets routed to your spam box.  Otherwise POP3 will work for your non-spam messages.

Offline B. McLaughlin

• Spacescooter Operator
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 01:13:55 PM »
Sorry if I am trying people’s nerves with all my questions, and I am not generally this slow but—

1. I went to Horde thinking I would need to set up an account to take the Spam after I enabled Spam Assassin.
Turns out my account has been storing spam ever since I moved my sites to Lunarpages. So while I thought I was getting all of it, it turns out that some has been getting filtered all along.

2. When I enable spam assassin and the box for it to go in on my cpanel > email, do I need to create a different folder in Horde so that spam assassin knows where to put it? Or does it just dump it into the folder that is already there?

3. I still do not see anywhere to choose what spam assassin does with the spam, as far as bouncing it back or “blackholing” it.

As you can tell I am new to this end of the world – I am an art teacher that specializes in teaching digital imaging.
I never set up spam filter before because I was worried that it would filter out emails that I need that is coming through my sites. Even though we public school teachers make lots and lots of money (sarcasm through email), some of us relay on our other businesses to survive.

Thanks again,
B.

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »
1) The Spam Box setting automatically created a folder called "spam" for you. Just take a look at your folders, and you should see it there.

2) No, see 1)

3) Its kinda complicated to setup. You may want to take a look around the forums, maybe search them for it. I have never set it up like that - not enough spam to be bothered. I like to go through my spam box whenever I have a free moment so I can double check - just in case.

- Ed

Offline B. McLaughlin

• Spacescooter Operator
Does SpamAssaisin Work
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 04:01:13 AM »
But....
From looking at the contents of the Horde folder, it has been storing things for the last 2 months - which is when I moved my sites to Lunarpages - not from when I enabled Spam Assassin - which was on this past Monday evening. I know this because one of the filtered out emails from 10/3/03 in the Horde folder was something that I knew the sender.

And...
There has been very little placed in that folder since I enabled it. I went from getting 75-100 spam per day without the assassin with about 5 per day being placed in the Horde folder that I did not know existed - to about 15 per day since I enabled the assassin with 2 going in the Horde folder.
Why the sudden drop in spam? Or is it going somewhere that I do not know about?
Not that I miss the spam but I worry about what else is not making it through. If the assassin is filtering out the spam and send sending it somewhere I can not check, that is not good.

B.