Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: SpamAssassin Outdated Lunarpages Not Updating SA Confs, Tests or BLs  (Read 10769 times)

Offline lptrouble

Disclaimer I have no experience installing or maintaining servers of any sort. I'm asking here as LP is skirting the issue when confronted with the below:

I'm on Galaxy and having major spam issues, almost 200+ messages a day, which began seemingly overnight in an otherwise uneventful 10 years of hosted email.

SpamAssassin is enabled and running. It's working in that it scans and flags email. However, 80-90% of it is being flagged too low thanks to a combination of tests (total scoring in 1 - 2 range) and consequently messages are making it safely to my inboxes.

Where I'm confused: If I paste those same messages into an online check service like spamcheck.postmarkapp.com, I get results with a completely different set of flagged tests than LP's output. For example, tests for RIBL_DBL_SPAM are not triggered and simply missing.

As a result, LP hosted email that was flagged as 1 comes back scoring 9, 12 or higher online. Is this normal? Why would the two instances differ so much? This seems like such a basic yet steep difference that something feels misconfigured or outdated.

After weeks of back and forth: LP's suggestion is to add rules, tweak symbolic test scores and rely on more Bayesian filtering/learning. Why should this have to happen if other installs of SA are accurately marking spam. If the addresses and servers have already been compiled as spam by trustworthy RBLs, why isn't LP using them?

This other post describes the same issue. Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to throw a shell command to see if my SA is equally outdated. Either way, it's ridiculous their "solution" required going to a third party service.

I'm more than likely not understanding something fundamental. Can someone shed some light?

Offline doncht

• Intergalactic Cowboy
Re: SpamAssassin Outdated Lunarpages Not Updating SA Confs, Tests or BLs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Just from what I know, spam emails cannot be blocked 100%. It's a continuous battle. For me, at least once a week, I study the spam email characteristics. There might be new patterns. That's the time that I add new rules on SpamAssasin.

Offline silver45

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Spam is indeed an ongoing battle, but that doesn't change the problem with the outdated rules or whatever it is that's scoring so much spam as ham. I'm having the same problem, with the amount of spam not getting caught by Spamassassin going up dramatically a few months ago. Like the OP, I ran a few through the spamcheck and found out that the scores should be higher than they are.

Some examples:
1) score in email 2.5, score from spamcheck 11.7
2) score in email -2.5, score from spamcheck 12.5
3) score in email 1.5, score from spamcheck 5.5
4) score in email 2.7, score from spamcheck 7.5
5) score in email 4.2, score from spamcheck 5.5

The Spamassassin people keep putting out new rules precisely because it's an ongoing battle, but it looks like we're being hamstrung by not getting those rule updates. Expecting users to try to keep up in their own is ridiculous, and defeats the purpose of having a tool like SA in the first place.

I'm shopping for a new host because of the spam problem, but I'd really rather not go through the trouble of moving after so many years on LP. At the very least, let us enable full headers so we can see what tests SA is using to score emails. I have it set to "all" already, but I'm not seeing individual tests (for example, 1.2 MISSING_HEADERS).

The fact that they closed the other post without even addressing the issue doesn't give me much hope for a solution, though.  :?

Offline silver45

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
The Spamassassin people keep putting out new rules precisely because it's an ongoing battle, but it looks like we're being hamstrung by not getting those rule updates. Expecting users to try to keep up in their own is ridiculous, and defeats the purpose of having a tool like SA in the first place.
Addendum: I decided to try taking all of the rules on https://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_3_x.html and putting them in my user_prefs file and OMG the difference! I've gone from dozens every hour to a small handful.

I still hold that we as customers shouldn't have to come up with workarounds to things that we're paying for that should work, but at least it's something, at least until there need to be more rules.

Offline silver45

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
Addendum: I decided to try taking all of the rules on https://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_3_x.html and putting them in my user_prefs file and OMG the difference! I've gone from dozens every hour to a small handful.
Spoke too soon  :(. It must have just been the time of day or something.

Email is still scoring far lower than Spamcheck, like -2 instead of 14. I checked to make sure my rules were still there, and they are.

Time to start host shopping again  :cry:

Offline slavka012

• Trekkie
I tried custom rules in user_prefs but from what I see rules in user_prefs are ignored.

The situation with spam is horrible here. I ignored it for a while but now I want to get it under control and I can't.

Offline silver45

• Intergalactic Cowboy
The situation with spam is horrible here.

It's ****ing ridiculous that one of the things we're supposedly paying for -- functional spam filtering -- isn't being provided, and the issue isn't even being addressed :( What do we have to do to get some response, guys, start expressing our discontent in words that trip obscenity filters?

(Edit to fix typo)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:15:44 AM by silver45 »

Offline slavka012

• Trekkie
Opening up support tickets might help, but given their slow response times I'm thinking they have more customers than they can handle. So I guess the only real solution is moving...

Offline inkslinger

• Trekkie
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
I posted a similar question today in the web hosting support forum (which obviously is not the correct place).

Like the OP, I have been with LP for over a decade and only recently experienced a tremendous surge in spam email reaching my inbox. This tells me something has changed with SpamAssassin.

It's very disappointing to hear LP is not addressing this. I sincerely hate the idea of changing hosts after more than 10 years, but the ham/spam issue has become so big for me that I may have no choice.

Offline MichaelT

• Support
  • Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
Hi,

If you are having issues with SpamAssassin not filtering properly please open a ticket with support as these forums are not an official means of technical support. They are primarily meant for official server related announcements from our admins and a central location for our customers to provide tips, hints and information amongst themselves. If you already have submitted a ticket and have not gotten any responses or the issue is continuing, please PM me your ticket # and I can get it looked into for you.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:15:57 AM by MichaelT »

Offline inkslinger

• Trekkie
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »
Hi,

If you are having issues with SpamAssassin not filtering properly please open a ticket with support as these forums are not an official means of technical support. They are primarily meant for official server related announcements from our admins and a central location for our customers to provide tips, hints and information amongst themselves. If you already have submitted a ticket and have not gotten any responses or the issue is continuing, please PM me your ticket # and I can get it looked into for you.

"Opening a ticket" doesn't do any good. It only gets me a canned response with a request for more information or instructions to do things I've already tried -- which haven't had one iota of impact on the situation...because the problem is on LP's end, and that is out of my control.

I've been a loyal Lunarpages customer for 15 years. Over the past 2-3 of those years, I've watched the customer service take a sharp nosedive. I see the CEO left in June of this year. No surprise. The biggest rat abandoning a sinking ship. Personally, I take that as a wake-up call that I need to leave, too.

Today, I receive approximately 2-3 spam emails PER MINUTE, 24 hours a day. Obviously this is wholly, unequivocally unacceptable. As soon as I make peace with the hassle it will be to transfer all my assets to another host, I'm done with LP. It's a very sad situation, in my estimation. I hate to leave...but you're giving me no choice.

Elizabeth

Offline km99

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »
I also used to receive 200 spam emails a day, and have a similar problem with the spamassassin success rate. (I used to rely on the Thunderbird spam filters, which are also very good.)

I can only refer you to my post on the subject here:

http://www.lunarforums.com/web-hosting-help-and-troubleshooting/why-the-sudden-surge-of-spam/msg429467/#msg429467

and say that, after two weeks of training, the percentage of spam emails that are missed is down to less than 1.

Offline silver45

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
Too bad LP can't just update SA's rules, instead of expecting admins to have to tell all of their users to change from POP to IMAP and jump through a bunch of hoops :cry:.

I'm increasingly regretting having accidentally double-paid a renewal, since it means I either live with LP's declining service or eat several years worth of hosting costs to move :?.

At least I have Mailwasher to help deal with the crap that should be flagged as spam but isn't.