Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: &!@$!! Mailing List Configuration Frustrations!!  (Read 2503 times)

Offline accom.com

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.accom.com.au
&!@$!! Mailing List Configuration Frustrations!!
« on: October 12, 2003, 10:16:57 PM »
Hi there,

I am trying to configure Lunarpages' mailing list software "mailman" so that I can use it as a simple announce-only list, and correspond with my potential subscribers.

The problem I find is that the program seems to be so bloody complicated with so many options to configure, that I have no idea what I am supposed to do with it!

All I want is a simple list set up so that I can have people subscribe from my web sites to the mailing list with a minimum of fuss, and they can then receive my newsletter updates and correspondence. Is it really so hard??

Seems that the software has so many bells and whistles, that you can't do anything simple with it! Can anyone help????

Offline GirlGamerJae

• Galactic Royalty
Re: &!@$!! Mailing List Configuration Frustrations!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 06:30:41 AM »
Quote from: accom.com
Hi there,

I am trying to configure Lunarpages' mailing list software "mailman" so that I can use it as a simple announce-only list, and correspond with my potential subscribers.

The problem I find is that the program seems to be so bloody complicated with so many options to configure, that I have no idea what I am supposed to do with it!

All I want is a simple list set up so that I can have people subscribe from my web sites to the mailing list with a minimum of fuss, and they can then receive my newsletter updates and correspondence. Is it really so hard??

Seems that the software has so many bells and whistles, that you can't do anything simple with it! Can anyone help????

I have had similar problems, I tried 3 separate times to set it up, and even though there is a great tutorial at TWebman's (one of the lunar forums mods) site, I still couldn't get it to work correctly.  I know it is due to my lack of understanding.. (read user error) but I can't figure out where I am going wrong...Perhaps someone that has set one up successfully could give us some insight.. I am ready to try again..
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
-quote from Berthold Auerbach, Author

Offline Martijn

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • reemst.com - about web
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 06:39:23 AM »
What your visitors need to do is send an email to your list, with subscribe in the body. I have created a small PHP script that does this automatically, the visitor only has to fill in his/her email address. When I'm home I'll post the source.

To use the list the way you want to, you can set a few options that will prevent subscribers from posting to the list. You need to go to "Membership Management" --> "Membership List" and "Set everyone's moderation bit, including those members not currently visible" to On. Click "Set" when you've done that.

Now go to "Privacy options" --> "[Sender filters]". Set "By default, should new list member postings be moderated?" to "Yes".

If a member posts to the list, the message will be held and you can go to "Tend to pending moderator requests" to accept or reject them. This way, only you will be able to post messages to the list.

Offline GirlGamerJae

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 07:55:47 AM »
Quote from: Martijn
What your visitors need to do is send an email to your list, with subscribe in the body. I have created a small PHP script that does this automatically, the visitor only has to fill in his/her email address. When I'm home I'll post the source.

To use the list the way you want to, you can set a few options that will prevent subscribers from posting to the list. You need to go to "Membership Management" --> "Membership List" and "Set everyone's moderation bit, including those members not currently visible" to On. Click "Set" when you've done that.

Now go to "Privacy options" --> "[Sender filters]". Set "By default, should new list member postings be moderated?" to "Yes".

If a member posts to the list, the message will be held and you can go to "Tend to pending moderator requests" to accept or reject them. This way, only you will be able to post messages to the list.

I don't use php for my website... I have just set up a new mailing list.  Sent a test and got the moderator request and tended it, the mail did send to my test addy.  What I want to know is how do get a subscribe/unsubscribe  form on my website, and how do I bypass all of the html pages that mailman creates?  I know these are probably stupid questions, but I just can't figure out a way to get it to work.  

Also the approved message arrived to the test address with this in the From:News-bounces@(mydomain).com; on behalf of; news@(mydomain).com..what is that about?

Thanks for your help  :D
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
-quote from Berthold Auerbach, Author

Offline Martijn

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • reemst.com - about web
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 09:50:39 AM »
OK, I forgot that I didn't use PHP, but I altered the formmail script to send out the mail. Formmail is very insecure, but if you use it right it can do no harm.  You can use the script generater from TWebman: http://twebman.lunarpages.com/perl/
I used that script to create the sample code below, which I altered a bit to make it function correctly for subscribing to your maillist (I didn't test this!):
Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/perl
if ($ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'} eq 'GET'){
print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";
print "Sorry, no GET methods allowed";exit(); }
if ($ENV{'QUERY_STRING'}){
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Sorry, no query strings allowed";exit(); }
@referers=("yourdomain.com");
$check_referer = 0;
if ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}) {
foreach $referer (@referers) {
if ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} =~ m|http?://([^/]*)$referer|i) {
$check_referer = 1;
last;}}} else{
$check_referer = 1;}
if ($check_referer != 1){
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<p><b><font size=\"4\" face=\"Arial\">You are not authorized to use this script from $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}\n";exit();}
if ($ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'} eq 'POST'){
read(STDIN, $buffer,$ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'});
@pairs = split(/&/, $buffer);}
local($name, $value);
foreach $pair (@pairs){
($name, $value) = split(/=/, $pair);
$name =~ tr/+/ /;
$name =~ tr/+/ /;
$name =~ s/%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
$value =~ tr/+/ /;
$value =~ s/%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
$value =~ s/<!--(.|\n)*-->//g;
$gForm{$name} = $value;}
$sj="";
$fm="yourlist-request\@yourdomain.com";
if ($gForm{'email'} ne ""){
$fm=$gForm{'email'};}
if ($gForm{'Email'} ne ""){
$fm=$gForm{'Email'};}
open(MAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail -t");
print MAIL "To: yourlist-request\@yourdomain.com\n";
print MAIL "From: $fm\n";
print MAIL "Subject: $sj\n";
print MAIL "--------------------------------------------------\n";
@pairs = split(/&/, $buffer);
local($name, $value);
foreach $pair (@pairs){
($name, $value) = split(/=/, $pair);
if ($name eq "L1"){next;}
if ($name eq "S1"){next;}
if ($name eq "Submit"){next;}
if ($name eq "submit"){next;}
$name =~ tr/+/ /;
$name =~ tr/+/ /;
$name =~ s/%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
$value =~ tr/+/ /;
$value =~ s/%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
$value =~ s/<!--(.|\n)*-->//g;
$gForm{$name} = $value;
print MAIL "subscribe $fm\n";
close (MAIL);
print "location: $gForm{'L1'}\n\n";
sleep(1);

You'll need to change yourdomain.com to your own domain name, and yourlist-request@yourdomain.com as well. The part "yourlist-request" is the name of your list with "-request" appended to it.

For instructions on how to upload this, go to http://twebman.lunarpages.com/perl/pf2.php (fill in the two fields to get the instructions).

The form field in which the user enters his address must be named Email or email. If you want to let users unsubscribe through a script as well, you'll need to put
print MAIL "unsubscribe $fm\n"; instead of
print MAIL "subscribe $fm\n";

Also the approved message arrived to the test address with this in the From:News-bounces@(mydomain).com; on behalf of; news@(mydomain).com..what is that about?

The News-bounces means that undelivered messages are being handled by the mailman software instead of being delivered to your mailbox.
Any more questions? Don't hesitate to ask! :)

Offline accom.com

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • http://www.accom.com.au
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 03:38:12 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your input, but unfortunately it doesn't quite help with a novice trying to set up mailman as a newsletter list. I am no good at scripting, so I am afraid I would most likely fail in trying to get that option up and running.

I have also tried Twebman's tutorial, but it seems that the tutorial doesn't seem to relate to the current version of mailman, which actually has different screens to the .jpgs in his tutorial.

Therefore, I am in a similar situation to Jae, and am getting quite frustrated with the whole process. I don't really have the time to fiddle with  the endless configurations, amend mailman's default sign up / response  pages or write scripts to make it work. I don't believe that it should be that complicated!

Does anyone know of a simple way to set it up, or alternatively, another opt-in newsletter type program that is relatively easy to use that we can install and use separate to mailman?

Thanks for your responses so far!

Offline jojooboo

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.fflschedules.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 03:59:16 PM »
You can create your list and then just use the default mailman pages for your users to manage their accounts.  I recommend that approach for novices.  To get to the predefined page, just login to your mailman list administrative page and then scroll to the bottom.  On the left side it will say "LISTNAME run by username@domain.com" and you should click on the name of the list.  You'll end up at the public mailmain page for your list.  A sample of mine is at http://bffl.com/mailman/listinfo/posts_bffl.com.

Just tell people to go to that page and do all their management from there.  They can subscribe, unsubscribe, change password, see other list members, etc.

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 12:23:17 PM »
You can also just mooch the form from that page, and paste it into your HTML code.

Any options you don't want the user to be able to see/choose, put them in but change the <input type="something like 'text'"

to: <input type="hidden"

Then they will not show on the page.

- Ed