Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: About Avatars  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Richard_Beck

About Avatars
« on: September 27, 2003, 12:44:15 AM »
Upon attempting to upload avatars on my BB, I find that I get an error at the top of the page -- something about headers, and permission being denied.

It only is shown for a split second before it redirects me back to the front page and the last time it did this, I had the presence of mind to highlight and copy the entire error. I can post it up if anyone thought it would help. I'm just not certain what's causing this to happen.

I'm not certain if this is where I'm supposed to go for this kind of help, I'm sorry if it isn't the right place.

Thank you for any help you could give.

Offline donavin410

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://d-410.com
About Avatars
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 03:54:50 PM »
I have found when using PHPbb board the best option for using avatars is to link to an on line image as your avatar. This also works well to prevent users from using up your disk space.
d-410.com

Offline Boris

• Master Jedi
    • http://www.phantomflow.com
About Avatars
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 09:37:34 PM »
Can you post up the code it's displaying?
that would help a lot to actually pinpoint the error in the script.
Questions on graphics? Visit the lunarpages Graphics forum!

Bugging Danielle daily since 2003.

Have a Lunar Day!

Offline ZenGyro

• Spaceship Navigator
    • http://www.beyondthepixel.net
About Avatars
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 04:48:44 AM »
from my use phpBBs, the upload avatar never worked correctly.  Supposed that will be finally fixed in 2.2 along with the quotas on how big the file can be.

Offline trebormojo

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://www.arts-design-team.com
About Avatars
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 07:17:27 AM »
I have 2.06 and I can turn uploading on or off and it has a quota, but even though I turn it off, it still gives the user an option of loading it on their profile screen, but it doesn't work for them. weird.  Anyone heard when 2.2 is coming out? The site says they were halfway through on August 28.

Offline Martijn

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • reemst.com - about web
About Avatars
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 11:31:37 AM »
In 2.0.6 it works fine, but you'll have to do some post-install things (which is documented in the installation instructions).

Two of these options allow users to upload an avatar from their machine or a remote location (via a URL). If you wish to enable this function you should first ensure the correct paths for uploadeable avatars is set in Admin -> General -> Configuration -> Avatars. By default this is images/avatars but you can set it to whatever you like, just ensure the configuration setting is updated. You must also ensure this directory can be written to by the webserver. Usually this means you have to alter its permissions to allow anyone to read and write to. Exactly how you should do this depends on your ftp client or server operating system.

On UNIX systems for example you set the directory to a+rwx (or ugo+rwx or even 777). This can be done from a command line on your server using chmod or via your FTP client (using the Change Permissions, chmod or other Permissions dialoge box, see your FTP clients documentation for help). Most FTP clients list permissions in the form of User (Read, Write, Execute), Group (Read, Write, Execute) and Other (Read, Write, Execute). You need to tick all of these boxes to set correct permissions.

And second:
phpBB 2.0.4 includes support for using uploadable avatars on systems running PHP in safe mode. If this applies to your hosting service you will need to create a sub-directory called tmp in the directory you specified for storage of uploaded avatars (by default this is images/avatars as explained above). Give it the same access rights as for uploadable avatars above.

This should work, at least, it does for me.