Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: What kind of CGI Script would you like to see made available  (Read 4483 times)

Offline sgthook

• http://www.sgthook.com
mt-comments.cgi
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 07:53:17 PM »
Hi,
I run a blog that has been attacked by a spammer in the comments. Last night over 700 spams to a single post. Needless to say Lunarpages wasn't happy and disabled the script (mt-comments.cgi). When I asked how to re-enable my comments the reply was to get a new script. Makes sense except I don't know the following:

a. How or where do I get a new script?

b. How do I install said script if I get it?

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Hook

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
What kind of CGI Script would you like to see made available
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2004, 09:47:07 PM »
Is there no methodology built into the script to prevent someone from posting more than x number of posts in a given amount of time?

- Ed

Offline TWebMan

• Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • Take charge of your site
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 08:08:31 PM »
Just need a time counter.  A simple session to track the IP and remote host name , but put these in a db field or on a flat file.  If they get savvy to the session.  Even if they disconnect for a new IP, if it matches hostname and the time passed, and if it's too low, it still kicks them back.

If the time elapsed is too low,it kicks them to another page or shows them an error.

Well, I'm back, pretty much.  A pretty large project is rolling out this week, and my three months work on it is pretty much done.  By next week my time should be mine again ;)

I can change//add to my perl mailer scripts, but I would like some feedback first to see what people want.  Any ideas, suggestions, just get a hold of me through the links in my sig.

I want to shy away from hidden fields controlling much, because that is where security risks can come in.  I was thinking of making them just more configurable when they are created, and the settings the user wanted will be there, hard-coded into the script.

:yey:
"Computers cause people to make more mistakes than any other invention in history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."  - Unknown
"Liberty of any kind is seldom lost all at once." - D. Hume
Every day is an Ode to Joy
The planet will be fine... and so will your site

Offline TWebMan

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 08:21:30 PM »
Not as much as I've missed you, because there's a whole bunch of you!  :)
"Computers cause people to make more mistakes than any other invention in history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."  - Unknown

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 08:22:37 PM »
*wonders if this TWebMan guy knows who i am*

Offline TWebMan

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 08:33:19 PM »
C'mon mussavcom, you had that name (or a similar one?) before.  Umm who are you?  heheheh

Offline harley

• Space Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2004, 10:40:55 PM »
A photo album that does not take a SQL db would have been nice. It took some searching and customizing, but I found one and modified it.

theclausons.com/Photos

The bottom of the page is the link to the original code.