Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: email address has been hijacked  (Read 2339 times)

Offline tcl

• Spacescooter Operator
email address has been hijacked
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
It started a few days ago and has been persistent whenever the computer is active, whether I'm using Outlook or not. There is a 'bong' and I know that my unwelcome piggybacker has logged on as me and has sent out messages. I don't know if any have actually been despatched because what I get is error messages: 'A message could not be sent' followed by 'Logon failure: unknown username or bad password' followed by '5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful'

What is going on? has anybody else had a similar 'attack'?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: email address has been hijacked
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
Could you clarify what you mean that your email address has been "hijacked"? Does your site run some sort of application that people can mail from? If so, do they have to be signed-on, and are anti-spamming measures taken? Or do you mean that someone is getting on to (or trying to get on to) your LP control panel and email application? Or is someone getting on to your gmail etc. account? It's possible that someone put spyware on your PC and it sent your email password to someone else, but if you're getting login failure notices, maybe not. However, if there's any possibility of that, you should scan your PC for spyware and then change all the passwords you can think of (plus enable the firewall). Something else that can happen is that spammers simply forge your address as the return address, but from what you describe, that didn't happen (you wouldn't be notified of each outgoing email attempt, or signon attempt; just be mystified by a flood of bounced emails, your account being closed for spamming, and irate emails from victims).
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline austingrd

• Intergalactic Cowboy
Re: email address has been hijacked
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
If you're using Outlook, try enabling authentication under "sending" settings.