Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Anyone using 52framework?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Anyone using 52framework?
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
I'm looking around at various site programming frameworks, and one that sounds very intriguing is called "52framework". It is apparently a collection of CSS and Javascript to make it easy to use HTML5 and CSS3 features cross-browser, with graceful degradation on older browsers (even IE6). Sounds good, but the site (52framework.com) is messily organized, the documentation is poorly done, and I don't see any sign of a user community. Is anyone here using this framework, and have any advice as to whether it lives up to the hype?

Are there other cross-browser HTML5/CSS3 frameworks that anyone would recommend? 52framework seems to be built on a 16 column 960px grid system. I need to have fluid and semi-fluid layouts (e.g., window 96% of screen width and minimum 600px wide, left column fixed 200px, right column whatever remains) and robust column balancing. I'm playing around with my own Javascript to do this kind of thing, but before I reinvent the wheel...
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline scanman20

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
    • http://www.notonebit.com
Re: Anyone using 52framework?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
Until you mentioned it I had never heard about it. Seem like a jack-of-all-trades solution. I know the twitter bootstrap (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/) is quite popular so if you haven't looked into that you may want to.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
NotOneBit.com
MCSE - MCSA - MCP (<- unused since 2006!)

Offline jimlongo

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • Rhythm Division
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
Have you looked into the 960Grid system. The layouts are fluid.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »
I think 52framework is based on 960Grid (or something very similar). When you say it's fluid, do you mean I can set up the page body to be 96%/minimum 600px wide, with a row where the left column is fixed width and the right is whatever is left over? Same thing for Bootstrap -- it's based on a 12 column layout. It does me no good to have a field simply span a fixed number of fixed width grid columns. Thanks!
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline jimlongo

• Intergalactic Superstar
    • Rhythm Division
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
on second look they're not so fluid afterall.
They're based on a 960px size.  Which works pretty well for desktop and mobile.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
Well, I'll try playing around with some in the near future. In 52framework, the layout is column based and the CSS simply gives a fixed width in pixels for a given number of columns. I can surely work around that. I'd really like to use their Javascript etc. to support all sorts of HTML5/CSS3 features with graceful degradation on older browsers, and so far I don't see anything in that tied to fixed column widths.

52framework is supposedly used in thousands of sites, but I'm very concerned that there doesn't seem to be a user community to discuss such things. I'll also try to take a look at the Bootstrap project, as @scanman20 was kind enough to mention it.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me