Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: cgi error file where?  (Read 6513 times)

Offline smegly

cgi error file where?
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »
Hi, I've written a perl cgi and run it from my public_html/cgi-bin directory, and it generates a 500 error, Internal Server Error, where is the log file that will have specifics of that error? I have ssh access and I've cd-ed around looking for it, and I've found the /usr/local/apache/domlogs directory but when I do an ls in that directory it says "permission denied." Help? Muchas gracias...

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: cgi error file where?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
I know that errors in PHP will drop "error_log" files in the directory where the error occurred. No idea if Perl does something similar. You might want to make sure your "shebang" line in your Perl code includes flags to list as many errors and warnings (strict) as you can. They might give you a hint as to what went wrong. Otherwise, if details are not in your control panel's Error Logs, and they're not in the HTML page itself, I don't know where to look. You probably won't find them in /usr/local/apache, as they are specific to a user and shouldn't be in an inaccessible directory. If all else fails, open a ticket and ask if they know where error details would be logged.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline smegly

Re: cgi error file where?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:28 PM »
Well I looked through my home directory, including for dotfiles; but didn't find anything. In my experience internal server error messages originating from any user on the system do get written to a single Apache log file, but I guess it would make too much sense to have that be located someplace simple like /var/log/apache. One thing I did notice is that the xferlog file in /var/log is a symlink to /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftpxferlog, but regular users have no permission to see anything in that directory. I'm not using strict but I am passing the warn, i.e. -w option to Perl. I have a bunch of other Perl scripts that run successfully, and the one that fails on hebe (hebe.lunarmania.com) runs just fine on my personally owned Linux box. So you're probably right, my only option at this point is to open a support ticket. Maybe I'll look through the lunarpages documentation a little bit more first, because I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who's had this question before. Thanks for the reply...  :D