Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Favicon and WordPress installion  (Read 1823 times)

Offline jtm12

Favicon and WordPress installion
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
My efforts today to add a favicon to a WordPress installation on Lunarpages are failing.

I have created my own theme and that is sitting in the themes folder in the wp-content folder.

I added the favicon link to the header file of my new theme.

I have dropped the favicon in the root of the website outside the public_html folder, in the public_html folder itself and in my new theme folder. I'm 0 for 3.

Can anyone tell me where to put the link, if not in the header of my personal theme?

And where to put the favicon?

Thank you.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: Favicon and WordPress installion
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
You don't need a link (meta tag) unless the following criteria are not met:
1. The file is 16x16 pixels
2. Its format is ICON (not something else renamed to .ico!)
3. The name is favicon
4. Its location is the site root (.../public_html/) equal to HTML /

Summary:  /favicon.ico . If any of these are not met, you will need to use a meta tag.

If you think you have it in the right place, enter http://yourdomain.com/favicon.ico, and it should display in your browser. If it doesn't, check if you have .htaccess redirection sending requests for /favicon.ico off to somewhere else. The only remaining possibility is that the file was created with the wrong format.

Note that if you add or change the favicon on an existing site, it may take a few days for your browser to get around to asking for a refresh of the favicon (it seems to depend on the particular browser). You might be able to prod it into doing so by removing the site from your bookmarks/favorites, clearing the cache, and loading (and saving) the page again. You can also ask someone else to try your site to see if they see the favicon.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-