Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Regarding anti spam question  (Read 5285 times)

Offline vedas

• Trekkie
Regarding anti spam question
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:48:58 AM »
Is the anti spam question (when registering new account the question asked like who is Microsoft owner )really work better?
is it stops spamming ?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: Regarding anti spam question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »
Asking questions, especially questions specific to the forum domain, seems to work better than visual puzzles (CAPTCHAs) at stopping both spambots and human spam farm workers from registering. Some other visual puzzles (e.g., show an ornate analog clock face and ask what time it is) still seem to work fairly well, but regular CAPTCHAs ("what word is this?") seem to have been pretty well cracked. You just have to be careful when designing questions that they will be answerable by your intended audience (usually in one word, with one correct answer), yet be unfamiliar to Third World spam farm workers.

P.S. Microsoft doesn't have an "owner". It is a corporation and there are millions of stockholders. Do you mean "principal co-founders"?
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline jenny777

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
I don't think the question really works.Everyone can google it to get the correct answer to the question.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:46:04 AM »
SMF users have found "Questions" to be much more useful in stopping spambots than CAPTCHAs. Properly designed questions even stop many (Third World) human spam farm signups. Human signups are under the gun to sign up on as many sites as possible as quickly as possible, and they usually aren't permitted time to go googling. If they don't happen to know the answer, they'll skip your site. Design good questions and answers is not easy, as the answer must be reduced to a single word and the question must be unambiguous. You don't want to frustrate desirable members who can't get past your questions. Note that CAPTCHAs good enough to stop most bots are unreadable for many humans!
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-