Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: selling audiobooks  (Read 13643 times)

Offline drewcam

• Spacescooter Operator
selling audiobooks
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »
I hope I'm asking this in the correct category.

I want to sell my audiobook on my website. does anyone know the best way to do this?
is it as simple as uploading an mp3 and using a shopping cart before downloading?
will it be too large a file in mp3?
not sure if there's a faster compression, or whether it should be compatible to go through itunes?

anyone have any experience in this?

thanks.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: selling audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
A number of shopping carts (including osCommerce) can handle "digital download" products. If you have just one product, a shopping cart (even though it's free) may be a bit of overkill. You may want to put your book on a commercial sales service (the names escape me at the moment; I think one is "Payloadz" and another is something like "Hulu") and just point to it from your website. Of course, they collect a commission, but they handle all the payment stuff for you. If you host it yourself, the biggest issue is protecting the downloadable file from being accessed by unauthorized people (i.e., thieves). Processing payments is also a bit of a hassle, and costs you a fee.

.mp3 is a popular audio format, even though it's not that good for music (makes it sound shrill and harsh). Nevertheless, it may be quite adequate for spoken words, and its compression is quite good. I would suggest looking around at major online book purveyors and seeing what they use.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline Jason Martin

• Spaceship Navigator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
There a lot of Shopping carts that allow digital downloading. Os and magneto are on of them. You may also you affiliate programs like ebay and Amazon.

Offline pavel

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:45:34 PM »
There is some CMS like wordpress, drupal, mezonto theme that is nice for audio book sealing . You can easily add Shopping cart for online transactions.

Thanks