Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Help non profit will little script knowledge :o)  (Read 8816 times)

Offline chickorychick

• Spacescooter Operator
Help non profit will little script knowledge :o)
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
Hi we are a non profit cat rescue looking to put a script much like this one
( http://petharbor.com/WebForm_PetRequest.aspx?searchtype=ADOPT&stylesheet=include/default.css&frontdoor=1&friends=1&samaritans=1&nosuccess=0&rows=10&imght=120&imgres=thumb&view=sysadm.v_animal&fontface=arial&fontsize=10&zip=99654&miles=200&shelterlist=%27MSBP%27&atype=cat&reqtype=cat )
on our web page. So that if we do not have the particular cat people are looking for they can feel out this form and we can contact them when we do get something in that fits their needs. We do not have anyone that can write script or code but I can find my way about and copy and paste LOL Is there maybe a web form script or something out there we can just download and install? Never hurts to ask, doing what we can!

Thank you

Tami

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: Help non profit will little script knowledge :o)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:36:25 AM »
There are all sorts of "formmail" scripts available, which will email requests to you. Many have been discussed on this very board (use the search function). You would just drop a few files into your site and fill out a configuration data file. That would be the simplest, but requires that someone look over all the accumulated requests when a cat comes in, and decide who's the closest match. The next step up would be to customize the form that visitors see, with decoration and flourishes such as randomly selected pictures of cute kitties just waiting to be adopted. That would require some programming skill. The next step up would be to put the incoming form data into a database (rather than emailing it), and use the computer (on the server or on a PC) to do a rough match (narrow down applicants to a few possible candidates, to ease your burden). That, of course, would require quite a bit of custom programming, but might be worth it if you will be handling a high enough volume of animals. You might be able to recoup your development costs by selling the customized software to other shelters (at a fair price, of course). The example link you gave has lots of good data input, but is so plain as to be utterly unappealing. There's no incentive to go through the bother of filling it out. By the way, it's written with MS Visual Studio and submits the form data to an ASP.Net script, so I'm guessing that it goes into a database rather than being emailed to someone.

Have you actually searched to see what's available for shelter software that someone's already written, and providing for little or no cost? I can't believe that there isn't something suitable out there already.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline chickorychick

• Spacescooter Operator
Re: Help non profit will little script knowledge :o)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:16:49 AM »
Of course, there is software out there, even free software....here http://sheltermanager.sourceforge.net/about.php
but again. it requires that a database be hosted on our site or something and we don't exactly have people beating down our door to volunteer these kinds of services. We aren't huge, but not tiny either. We are 501c3 pending and expect approval by the end of the year. Any donations would be retroactive to our filing date of April. We have foster home volunteers but none of a technical nature. Our website is kind of blah also, can't seem to even get the template to fit the page. The saving lives part we have down pat and have been doing it for years now, but scooping all of those litter boxes on top of working jobs leaves one with little time to learn programming or or css :o)

www.alaskacatadoptionteam.org