I have two old accounts with LP and I'm quite happy with them. That's the reason why I just signed up for a third one and I was expecting a quick and easy setup for my new application. Instead... I found a lot of changes and I ran into trouble with the new LPCP manager. Here's what is messed up:
1. I couldn't figure out how to treat .html files as PHP code. In my old accounts, I have these lines in .htaccess:
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml
AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml
AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .html
In the new account, setting the handler to either x-httpd-php or x-httpd-php5 causes the files to download instead of being interpreted as PHP code. For now, I changed all my .html files to .php extension, but this is not acceptable long term.
2. I couldn't access the error log via LPCP, so I had to access them via FTP.
3. I created a MySQL database and a <user>@localhost and I assigned the user to the database. I was not able to connect with that user until I created another <user>@<IP> and changed the PHP code to connect to the IP directly.
Then, I created a subdomain and from that subdomain I was not able to connect to the database at all, even if I set up a user@% and assigned it to the database. The error comes up as either "Access denied for user '<user>'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" or as "Host '<IP>' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server", which make no sense.
4. I can't seem to be able to set up crons??? This is an essential feature for my application.
5. Finally, I understood that for an extra $2 I can get cPanel, but I can't figure out how to do that either. The documentation is outdated and still refers to cPanel as if it were the default manager.
So far, my signup feels like a complete waste of money and time, so I would appreciate if you could give me some solutions to 1 - 5.