Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: LPCP WebApps Pool, only one app per domain?????  (Read 4322 times)

Offline gorriedt

LPCP WebApps Pool, only one app per domain?????
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »
So, this seems a little confusing to me, you can only install 1(!) webapp per domain?  So I'm setting up a joomla site that needs a shopping cart...I need to setup a subdomain for the shopping cart??

Also, this gets kind of wonky because my DNS is hosted by a DNS management service...any tips for that...if I'm forced to make a subdomain, then I need to create a cname in my DNS manager?

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: LPCP WebApps Pool, only one app per domain?????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
I should hope that you can install more than one web application into a domain! Otherwise, it's a pretty useless feature, isn't it?

I don't have LPCP, but my guess is that it's actually saying something about not being allowed to install multiple applications into one directory (not domain). That would make sense, as most applications have "index.php" as their entry point, and you wouldn't want to have multiple applications all trying to install the same-named file into the same directory. Did some illiterate actually write "domain" rather than "directory", or did you misread it?
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
I am pretty sure you should be able to install multiple scripts under the same domain - however you would need to make sure the two scripts lived in two different locations, so they don't fight with one another for similar files.  For example, you can't install WordPress and Joomla in the same folder, because both would be fighting for who really controls that folder's content.
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline gorriedt

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
I thought that was the case as well, Mitch...but I unfortunately don't think so!  I think they have the installation method a little mixed up - it asks you to select the domain you want to install it on first (and I select the root domain), and no matter what app i pick it says:
WebApp is already installed in the DocRoot of this domain

But, if I make a new subdomain, it's fine.  After you install it, you can obviously choose which directory you want it put in, which seems like it should be the first option (not domain!), so you can install more then 1 script if you needed....which I'm guessing most folks might want to do!

Is there any way to bring this to the attention of the support folks?  I am totally capable of installing scripts on my own, but love the convenience of something like fantastico/webapps pool installers.  It's usually a good selling point for hosts as well, but only if the function in a usable way!!!

Anyway, just thought I would add back to the thread :)