Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Where are the mailing lists?  (Read 7669 times)

Offline d8wave

Where are the mailing lists?
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
Seems that I can't find email functions that are in Cpanel and I was told LPCP has the same functionality. Am I missing something?
   Email Domain Forwarding
   Default Address
   Auto-responders
   Email Filtering
   Mailing Lists
   SpamAssassin
   Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:21:00 PM by d8wave »

Offline MichaelT

• Support
  • Jabba the Hutt
Re: Where are the mailing lists?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »
Hi d8wave,

The LPCP accounts do not support Mailman but you can install the PHPList Mailing List through your WebApp Pool. You can find other scripts that can be installed through that feature here: http://wiki.lunarpages.com/WebApp_Pool_in_LPCP .

Offline d8wave

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
I'm familiar with PHPList - Just annoyed that I was lied to by Lunarpages Sales staff.

katrina1

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »
Incorrect or misunderstood information is not a lie. There is a difference. We certainly apologize for any misinformation given. LPCP, while very much like Cpanel and continuing to improve constantly, is not exactly the same and in fact has some things such as support for Innodb, additional scripts, and separate mysql and email servers which are not provided on our cpanel servers here.

At this time on LPCP:
Email Domain Forwarding - not provided
   Default Address - not provided (often abused by spammers however)
   Auto-responders - not provided but is on our list of upgrades to do
   Email Filtering - not provided but Spam Assassin is.
   Mailing Lists - phplist provided in webapps and you can manually install other mailing scripts
   SpamAssassin - is provided. Set it up while creating or editing an email account.
   Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry) - not provided but it has always been best to have us change MX records for you since there is an additional step that only we can do

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:24:27 AM »
Does this mean the only way to get a default address implemented is to to pay extra for cpanel if you are on a lpcp server?

Offline MarkCale aka Madscape

• Spaceship Navigator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
Does this mean the only way to get a default address implemented is to to pay extra for cpanel if you are on a lpcp server?

As Katrina mentioned LPCP does not provide the functionality of a domain default  e-Mail address under the circumstance of it being often exploited by spammers. You have to also realize even using such records as MX records will not always thwart the exploit of spamming. I am sure in future development LPCP will offer something more secure and better than the default address such as provided in cPanel. You would need to look at all sides of the coin so to speak in dealing with any webhosting control panel. Lunarpages is determined to provide a user friendly control panel but also one that is secure and leaves exploiters no room to find cracks in it. The main goal is always security since this is always a constant ongoing issue with the internet.

Forum Lurker and Former Galactic Tekkie, mostly a jack of trades and master of none!  Mark H. Cale

Offline cre8tivegirl

• Space Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
unfortunately i cannot install the PHP list in the control panel because it says I already have an add-on program loaded into the root directory of my site.  I have WordPress installed and that PHP list doesn't give you the option to install it into a subfolder.  So I'm left with no way to install a mailing list.  But it says that one is provided for free with the Basic Web Hosting plan.  So does that mean there really isn't any way to have a mailing list for me?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
i cannot install the PHP list in the control panel because it says I already have an add-on program loaded into the root directory of my site.  I have WordPress installed
OK, automated systems won't let you install two applications into the same directory because they're likely to step on each other (e.g., both have index.php).

PHP list doesn't give you the option to install it into a subfolder.
I'm sure you're misreading something. Any program can be installed into any subdirectory -- I've never heard of anything that had to be installed only into the root. Reread the instructions and the Wiki entries on LPCP installation -- there's got to be a way to specify where you can install PHPlist.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline cre8tivegirl

• Space Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »
I'm not mis-reading anything when trying to install the mail list php.  It doesn't give you an option to specific a new folder to install it in.  It just gives me the error message that it can't install it on the root directory because WordPress is already there, and like you said it probably isn't compatible to have both in one directory.  So I guess I'm stuck.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
I just checked with Fantastico in cPanel, and it lets you install PHPlist in any directory. I would suggest that you open a support ticket to get the LPCP installer fixed. There must be something wrong with it.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline cre8tivegirl

• Space Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
I know you can do all these things in Cpanel, but LPCP apparently is bare bones minimum tools.  I guess they want you to be annoyed enough with it to pay the $2/month for cpanel.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »
LPCP is still a work in progress. Personally, I think it "escaped" too early, no doubt under pressure from the bean counters, but that's water under the bridge. If the web applications system cannot install PHPlist into an arbitrary directory, the proper action is to open a support ticket to get it fixed. If you don't -- they likely won't do anything.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline MichaelT

• Support
  • Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »
unfortunately i cannot install the PHP list in the control panel because it says I already have an add-on program loaded into the root directory of my site.  I have WordPress installed and that PHP list doesn't give you the option to install it into a subfolder.  So I'm left with no way to install a mailing list.  But it says that one is provided for free with the Basic Web Hosting plan.  So does that mean there really isn't any way to have a mailing list for me?

Hi cre8tivegirl,

I just checked a few LPCP servers and when installing PHPList via WebApps Pool it does ask for a directory to install to. You can install to one of the following under the Installation preferences  heading;

Document Root (/)
   other:

For the "other" entry, there is an input box for you to specify the path/folder.