Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: No Fantastico with LPCP?  (Read 5067 times)

Offline mxgirl

• Intergalactic Superstar
No Fantastico with LPCP?
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
Figures - one of the things I like best about LP is the ease of use and cPanel was at the top of my favorites list.  Now it's getting booted.   :(         I admit that I've only looked at the screenshots and read the Table of Content for the written tutorials not the tutorials themselves, but I didn't see a Fantastico link.

Can we still add Word Press , Zen Cart and SMF with the click of the mouse with LPCP?  If I pay the extra $2.00 to keep cpanel, are you just going to eliminate it anyway, making me transfer to the LPCP mid stream?

Oops!  I think I shoulda put this in the LPCP board not here in the cPanel board.  :goof:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:26:06 PM by mxgirl »

Offline MarkCale aka Madscape

• Spaceship Navigator
Re: No Fantastico with LPCP?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
Fantastico is part of the cPanel licensed software, granted LPCP is not modeled after cPanel which can be understood due to copyrights and so on..

I am not sure what the fate of cPanel is at lunarpages since it is an intent to use their own control panel, which I assume to save costs where you can, since any use of cPanel requires money for a license, hence why you are asked to pay $2.00 extra for the license. Transitions are not ever easy and when you become accustomed to something and then there is a change then the learning process starts over again and the process to work out any kinks in the system. When. I was with support, LPCP just started and was still more or less beta. I am not sure what it looks like now and how easy it is to simply use. The main intent of LPCP from my knowledge was to eliminate the issues of shared server configurations conflicting with cPanel, which with my time with lunarpages was often a conflict to what the servers were configured and cPanel not accepting those changes. I still like cPanel as it was what I learned to use and troubleshoot, but I think LPCP in time will surpass it once more technology is presented for it.

I will advise you that scripts such as wordpress and the other things found in Fantastico all work on the same principle of creating an sql database which should not be difficult to setup since Mitch has provided a wiki to assist on that. Also, remember with scripts most have a read me on how to install. You can also contact support when you are having issues installing a script as this is well within their support parameters to handle such issues which fall under server and account issues.
Forum Lurker and Former Galactic Tekkie, mostly a jack of trades and master of none!  Mark H. Cale

Offline mxgirl

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
Hey Mark, thanks for the quick reply.  :thumb:

The term 'easy' is relative and I'd much rather click on a link to set up Wordpress rather than deal with setting up an sql database.  I don't even know what it is much less how to set one up (even with a wiki).  So do you think cPanel will stay as an extra option, or will it be phased out at some point?

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
Well, LPCP has a Fanastico-like feature with a better selection of popular scripts out there.  It's called the WebApps Pool.  You can learn more about it here:

http://wiki.lunarpages.com/WebApp_Pool_in_LPCP

Basically, it is the same as cPanel's Fantastico, except there are a bigger selection of more popular scripts, and the options when installing are much more configurable.

Definitely worth checking into. :)
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline mxgirl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Hey Mitch!
Thanks for the info - I would never have figured out that the scripts were under 'Web Apps' although now that you mentioned it, it makes perfect sense.  I'll play around with some of the links I found and see if I can look inside.  Thanks again. :thumb:

Danielle

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
We aren't going to quit providing cPanel so long as people still want to use it. We simply charge more for new accounts to be on cPanel-licensed servers due to the high licensing costs for cPanel. You are welcome to ask to be moved to a cPanel server for a new account and pay the new costs, although you might want to give LPCP a try before doing that, just in case you find that the features there are fine and will meet your needs.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Hopefully the WebApp Pool will be about as easy to use as Fantastico, and will offer more flexibility in configuration than Fantastico. Over on SMF, they recommend against using a Fantastico installation, because it 1) installs all language packs, whether you want them or not, and 2) does funny things with UTF-8 encoding that inevitably leads to problems with later upgrades. (Speaking of SMF, does Lunarpages have a redistribution license with them, so SMF can legally be offered?)

I haven't heard anything official, but it appears that cPanel will be going away, at least as a free feature. It costs $$ to offer cPanel (or Fantastico separately), and I would presume that LP wants to cut costs as much as possible. This motive would be in addition to their desire to streamline administration. cPanel also has some clunky function with things like handling subdomains and add-on domains, and updating .htaccess in other than the root directory. Hopefully those are being addressed in LPCP. Anyway, once they have LPCP up and running smoothly, it would not make sense to stay on cPanel for the older servers (except where users are willing to pay an extra fee). I would assume that eventually even existing cPanel accounts will be moved over if users don't want to pay an extra fee (or at least, don't rule out that possibility).
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
Hey Mitch!
Thanks for the info - I would never have figured out that the scripts were under 'Web Apps' although now that you mentioned it, it makes perfect sense.  I'll play around with some of the links I found and see if I can look inside.  Thanks again. :thumb:

Not a problem, always happy to help.  :thumb:

I do have to say I have been highly impressed with LPCP's development and proverbial, "delivering of the goods" when it comes to user feedback.  In the long run, the development of the LPCP control panel, I feel, will allow for an even better hosting platform to work from.  If you ever run into any other questions, just ask here - tons of helpful folks that are happy to help out anytime.
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!