Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Progressive download vs. streaming videos  (Read 8569 times)

Offline dannam

Progressive download vs. streaming videos
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
I'm a web developer, fully versant in embedding flvs and swf  files into my client's webpages using "Progessive Download". 

However, Progressive Download is NOT Streaming.   For those wanting to be clear on the differences - here's a good Abobe article - http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/learning_guide/video/part02.html

I have a new client who needs to use true Streaming, so that her copyrighted videos are never downloaded to the viewer's pc or cache.    These are small, short videos, and bandwidth is not an issue.   She's on the shared nu server.

I've read through these forums on this topic, but I've never found an instance where Lunar says they support true Streaming video and how to accomplish it. 

Can you please tell me if Lunar does indeed support true Streaming using Real Media or some other method?  If so,  my flv files are sitting on the nu server.  How do I link them to your Streaming server?

If not, I have to say that the sales propaganda on this page - http://www.lunarpages.com/basic-hosting/  is really um... misleading and inaccurate. 

Many thanks.

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Progressive download vs. streaming videos
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
We offer progressive streaming, meaning that you can upload the file to our servers, and then link to it. When a visitor accesses that file, they can then stream it to their computer, or download it.

We do not provide a dedicated streaming server, so you won't be able to run applications like ShoutCast from the servers, but you can upload your content, link to it, and allow visitors to view/hear it this way.

Additionally, since we offer progressive streaming, users that are behind firewalls, which could prevent them from listening to streams from a dedicated streaming server, are able to listen to the content as well, since the stream would be going through port 80 (standard port for http traffic).

Also, you can embed a media player directly into your site to play the content. For information on how to do this (and a generator to show you how to do this as well) check out http://cit.ucsf.edu/embedmedia/step1.php

Hope that helps!
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline dannam

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
Hi Mitch,
I really appreciate your response. 

If I understand you correctly, what you refer to as "progressive streaming" is really not offering any additional service or enabling video playback at all.   That's handled by the webmaster  correctly embedding an FLV or SWF in their webpage, and then uploading the webpage and swf to the host server.  Nothing other than flash player on the viewer's pc is need to playback the video.   

So again, in my book (and I'm using Adobe's definitions) that's Progressive Playback, not Streaming. 

I now understand that Lunar does not offer server streaming capabilities, where the video is not downloaded to the viewer's pc, but player from the server.   Unfortunately for this client, it's a distinction that makes the difference. 

Please don't get me wrong... I'm an affiliate with over 2 dozens clients at Lunar and am very happy.   But I do think the language used on your "media support" page is misleading. 

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »
Yes, I do understand where you are coming from.  We are not trying to mislead anybody, however this is one of those, "you can look at the glass half empty or half full" type situations.  On the shared hosting servers though, you would be streaming as quickly as the user could download via the browser to play it back.  Playing FLVs via your web site shouldn't be a problem though on the shared hosting accounts as long as your not trying to compress or change the formats on the server, as that is pretty heavy on the server resources. 
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!