Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Banning a user  (Read 5151 times)

Offline WyattBee

• Spacescooter Operator
Banning a user
« on: November 12, 2004, 02:56:12 PM »
I would be interested to know how message board admins deal with "problem" users.

What tools do you have with your forum software and do any of you use the cPanel IP deny manager ?

Can you always resolve an IP address that goes through a proxy ?

Just interested !   8-)

Lupine1647

Banning a user
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:15:07 PM »
On my GMail Invite service, I fi get one of thoughs users who just flood the db, it's an IP ban and e-mail address ban.

Soon, I may work on setting up a banning system where a session variable = ban, then they can't access the pages or if they have a cookie with ban in it or something, then they can't view the pages.

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
Banning a user
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »
I use the visual confirmation mod (included but not installed by default) in phpBB. It eliminated the bots that were spamming my memberlist.

Banning by IP only works for as long as the user has that IP address. However, people have dynamic IP addresses with dialup and DSL. However, it could be effective when someone is feeling really upset and you keep them out for as long as they have that IP address so hopefully they would have cooled off a bit.
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Offline psykik

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.psyked-out.com
Banning a user
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 04:00:51 AM »
you can use Cpanel

but when using banning function of the forum itself,

you can ban his username, his email adres

that way if he registers again under a different username (providing he uses the same email account, he'll be banned automatically)

in phpbb, you can also ban pieces of username (using the * : eg. if the user is called dreamcatcher you can also ban dream* . That way everything starting with dream will be blocked)

Offline Coon

• Adi
  • Über Jedi
    • Freestyle Football
Banning a user
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 12:51:52 PM »

I use the visual confirmation mod (included but not installed by default) in phpBB. It eliminated the bots that were spamming my memberlist.

Oh, I need that mod. What does it exactly do? I hate those fake sign-ups!
Soccer Forum - Established freestyle soccer forum!
Freestyle Football - Cool soccer freestyle videos! Must SEE!
Frisco Painting - Faux painting for Dallas, TX area.

Offline GarveysIT

• Web Design SEO England UK
  • Berserker Poster
  • Web Design SEO England UK
    • Web Design | SEO | IT Support Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Durham
Banning a user
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 01:00:30 PM »