Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: @ Work  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Papi

• Spacescooter Operator
@ Work
« on: June 09, 2003, 06:04:55 AM »
Whats up friends!
Last night was my first time using cgiemail and I thought it was pretty simplistic. So........ today I decided to bring to work and utilize it at my works site for a small feedback form I am creating. However, upon configuration I am getting this error after submitting:

The requested URL was not found on this server.

My "cgiemail" is in the cgi-bin of my server...
My action points to cgi-bin/cgiemail...

I think this is were Iam confused. The action should point to the script but in the directions it has it point not only to the script but also the template. Does this mean that the template and the script have to be in the same directory? How does the script know which directory my template is in?

Anywho, if I can get some help it would be great!

Thanks all,

-Papi

Offline Papi

• Spacescooter Operator
LAYOUT
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 06:17:20 AM »
Ok I have all my html and txt files in my root and cgiemail in the cgi-bin.

My action = /cgi-bin/cgiemail   ?

Or my action = /cgi-bin/cgiemail/template.txt  ?

Or my action = root/cgi-bin/cgiemail   ?

Or my action = root/cgi-bin/cgiemail/template.txt   ?

Hope this helps in the resolution...

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
@ Work
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 09:30:41 AM »
Just a few quick thoughts.

- template.txt most likely needs to be in the same directory (unless you tell it to look elsewhere)
- does the cgiemail program you are using have an extension on it? eg: cgiemail.pl cgiemail.cgi cgiemail.php etc.

You need to reference the exact filename with the extension for it to work properly.

For the action you need to point it to the cgiemail program. If you are referencing it from your work server (different domain) then you need to make sure you have the http://www.yoursite.com/cgibin/cgiemail.ext whole path written out.

Hope that points you in the right direction!
- Ed

Offline Papi

• Spacescooter Operator
@ Work
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 04:20:47 AM »
thanks for your help man...
Id rather not say what the error was but I guess you all deserve a good laff. It wasnt chmod'ed... grr.  Once I got that adjusted it flew right through.

again thanks!

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
@ Work
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 07:54:19 AM »
The important thing is that you got it working!
 Keep us posted if anything else arises!

- Ed

Offline Papi

• Spacescooter Operator
Cool...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 09:58:59 AM »
Ill defiently keep you guys posted... it sucks to be left hangin'

Heres a question...
Its somewhat off topic from CGI.

Let me set the scene first. I am new to building pages that display dynamic content and that are connected to a backend database.

I have a search field that needs to query five different DB's if not more.
I understand that the search field itself does not query, but the results page.  The string the user enters is stored temporarily in memory until the server queries it. My problem is that after hitting the search button my page jumps to a HTTP 500 - Internal server error Internet Explorer.

I think Im fudgin something up in between. Let me get into it a little deeper and Ill ask a real question in a few. Also if this upcoming question is better off in another forum, please advise.

Thank you for all your help.

-Papi

Offline Papi

• Spacescooter Operator
Ok I got one...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 10:05:03 AM »
What should my "action" be for a form that has a search field in it?

Should it be the results page?

-Papi

ps-TWebman feel free to jump in @ anytime :)

Offline Ed

• Berserker Poster
    • Joke A Whenever
@ Work
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 09:12:48 PM »
Quick Question: What language are you working in? If its PHP, there is a good chance that the results page might need the be the action. If its perl or something like that, the action should be pointing to the script that does the work. Basically the action needs to point to the first file that actually processes the information in that form!

Yes, you've got the perfect forum for this question!

The 500 error is a general error. Try going through the server error logs (under web/ftp stats link in CPanel. It might point you in the right direction If its a "premature end of script headers" then make sure the permissions on the script are correct. Try 755 or 777 as a safe bet for a start).

TWeb..any thoughts?

- Ed :-)