Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Password protect directory in LPCP  (Read 4307 times)

Offline relliott

Password protect directory in LPCP
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
I was told today by LP tech support that new accounts get LPCP instead of the advertised Cpanel.  Ok.  I was also told by tech support that LPCP does not have a tool to password protect folders.  Not ok.  I need to put some sensitive data on my site that must be password protected.  Tech support said that all I could do is create a redirect and gave me some code to put into a file.  I'm lost, especially in light of the rather featureless interface of LPCP.  Does anyone here know how I can securely put my data into a folder?

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
Re: Password protect directory in LPCP
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
I found A pretty good explanation of how to do this at http://www.addedbytes.com/apache/password-protect-a-directory-with-htaccess/

I checked a couple of password protected directories and saw that what cpanel does pretty much agrees with the article.

Offline relliott

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The resource that you provided is pretty good, even going so far as having a tool for generating encrypted passwords.  I'll have to puzzle over the article's contents a bit more before I will be able to get folder protection up and running.  While this method appears to do what Cpanel does in terms of functionality, the point and click nature of the Cpanel tool is certainly a lot more user friendly than having to put together several files of code.

Your assistance is much appreciated.  Again, thank you.

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
relliott, I would suggest you e-mail feedback@lunarpages.com so they can let the LPCP dev team know that this is something you want to see added in a future release.  Also yes, what cPanel does is pretty much the same thing that is explained in that article about creating a password protected folder via .htaccess - so that should work as a substitute for now. 
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline relliott

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback link.  I will be contacting them about this issue.

With what I got from this forum and what I received from tech support, I managed to get password protection working.  It took hours to work out each piece of the puzzle, especially to finally work out the full path to the password file so that I could list it in the access file.  If you should decide to put together a FAQ or tutorial file on this issue, I've now got some resources that help in arriving at successful completion.  I'll be happy to share them.

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:40 AM »
Thanks!
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline WWG

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
...It took hours to work out each piece of the puzzle, especially to finally work out the full path to the password file so that I could list it in the access file.

That's my biggest problem so far, figuring out the FULL path.  The help desk gave me some good ideas, but the code sample is different than found on http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess3.shtml and the password encrpytor: http://www.tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/.  Everyone says to put the .htpasswd file above where a browser will see it (i.e. before /public_html) but I have no idea what to call it.