Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Bandwidth discrepancies between cPanel and LunarPages  (Read 3543 times)

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
Bandwidth discrepancies between cPanel and LunarPages
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »
Hello,

I have a dedicated server with LunarPages (Dedicated III) with CentOS.

The problem is about bandwidth measurement. I have a vBulletin forum in that server that receives an average of 12,000 visits a day with image attachments hosted in the same server.

Since January or so, bandwidth measured by LunarPages, available at

https://account.lunarpages.com/bandwidth_graphs.php

has been up to 3x more than bandwidth reported by cPanel in my server.

For example, in April:

Red is bandwidth measured by LunarPages, blue bandwidth measured by cPanel.

Visits were constant during those days, but on day 4 I deactivated attachments so bandwidth consumition would go down. It wasn't until April 18th that both measurements were almost the same.

I don't use SCP (Secure Copy via SSH) or download great amounts of data via SSH. I just log once or twice a day on WHM to check server health and sometimes via telnet on SSH, but just for some minutes a day.

I know that bandwidth measured at the network switch port may be a bit higher than the reported bandwidth by WHM/cPanel, it is usually 10% higher, but right now it's 200% higher or more.

My site compresses all .html and .php files with mod_deflate and controls not being hotlinked with .htaccess, so files can only be linked from the domains I have.

I write here because I contacted quite some times LunarPages support about this issue and no one of the support team has given me an answer or solved the problem in the last five months, so I would like to know if someone can help me with this issue. Any ideas will be very welcome.

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
Re: Bandwidth discrepancies between cPanel and LunarPages
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:35:47 AM »
Hi Baraja,

Since cPanel is not able to calculate all the traffic passed from or to your server,  as a first step, I would recommend installing a 3rd party script (simple one working via iptables can be helpful) or programm to gather the bandwidth stats to check whose calculations are indeed wrong. For example, exploits running on the server maight be the cause of excessive bandwidth consumption being invisible for cPanel.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline baraja

• Space Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:07:42 AM »
Well, I just have an account and a website in that server and I have asked Lunarpages support about giving me a more detailed report about bandwidth consumption and they have not given me any answer.

What I don't like it's that LunarPages haven't offered me an answer about this issue, just vague interest and no detailed information even I have asked quite some times about this.

As far as I know, cPanel measures HTTP/SMTP/FTP/POP3/IMAP Traffic.

I don't have any experience installing a 3rd party script with iptables, could you give me some advice about it, pointing me to a site, wiki or instructions?

Thanks.

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »
Hi Baraja,

The most easy way I can offer is remembering interface eth0 stats for RX bytes (incoming traffic) and TX bytes (outgoing traffic) and counting the difference between their start and end values for specific amount of time. This difference can be compared with CAP area stats then. Use the following command in shell loggign in as root to review the interface statistics:

ifconfig eth0

Please note that unfortunately, those stats reset after server reboot.

Please advise, if you have any further questions.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov