Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Request for Reviews on my site  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
    • Brennie's Dreamscape & Spiritual Inspirations
Request for Reviews on my site
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:05:22 AM »
Hi all,

I'm requesting reviews on my site with emphasis on improving bounce rate. Currently the average bounce rate is around 35% with 1-2 page views per visit, which is horrible.

I'd like some suggestions on what could be the cause... I know my site is a "reading" site, meaning there's alot of written content (poems, stories, etc.) so I know I should focus on making it easily & comfortable readable. I may have missed the mark on that with the background image behind the text and the limited paragraph height causing an internal scrollbar. Am I correct on these assumptions? Can you think of anything else that could be deterring my visitors?

Site: <removed, not LP hosted>
Thanks in advance and I look forward to the feedback!

Brennie
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:04:19 AM by MrPhil »

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Request for Reviews on my site
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:09:16 AM »
35% isn't that bad of a bounce rate actually, for more information on that - check here:

http://blog.lunarpages.com/2009/04/21/what-is-your-bounce-rate/

However, with only 1-2 page views per visit, you might take a look around and see where and how you can lead other people into other sections of your site.  Maybe try re-working the naviation, or include a few more "related" links per page.  Hope that helps!
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:05:21 AM »
Hi Mitch,

That does help. Thanks for taking the time to take a look and offer your comments!

On that blog article, you wrote:
For static web sites, a bounce rate of anything under 40% or so would be concerning.  However, with blog or web sites where linking to other web sites is common place, anywhere from 50% to 60% should be considered normal.

Should that read that anything OVER 40% or so would be concerning? If not then I should be concerned right?

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51:26 AM »
With bounce rate, it is backwards - you want a lower number.  :D

It represents the percentage of initial visitors to a site who "bounce" away to a different site so the higher it is, the more people you have bouncing away quickly, and the lower the number, the more people you have staying within your web site - not exiting so quickly.

Via another resource on the issue:

A commonly used session timeout value is 30 minutes. In this case, if a visitor views a page, doesn't look at another page, and leaves his browser idle for longer than 30 minutes, they will register as a bounce. If the visitor continues to navigate after this delay, a new session will occur.

Hope that helps!
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
From a functional standpoint your site does lack a bit of readability. The contrast (or lack thereof) between the background images and the text makes one work at reading the text. I imagine a larger font size and/or a different choice of text color would serve as possible alternatives to a different background. Several pages with internal scrollbars have the disconcerting property of scrolling text over the top of static positioned text, that makes it very confusing (note: with internet explorer, not with firefox). While I am not a real fan of multiple scroll bars, they are not as important as the general ability to easily comprehend the content on your site.

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
Thanks for the input. I'm actually leaning towards a re-design which wont have an image behind the text at all nor the inner scrollbars for the text.

I once read somewhere that it's important that all pages of a site are the same height, which is why I incorporated that into the design because I have some pages with long text (i.e. short stories). Anyone have thoughts on this concept?

Thanks again!

Offline masonbarge

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:11:54 AM »
I hate to be so blunt but I'm thinking you want real feedback here.  I'd bounce immediately because the text is too hard to read.  Way to hard to read.

Don't put an image behind the poem, use a larger font and get more contrast between the background and the font color.  Also, don't center-justify. 

Even if I could read it, putting an image behind text is a no-no under accessibility standards.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."

~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »
Yes I appreciate the bluntness, thanks!  :smiling:

I agree. I think I was too into the idea of the opaque image box that I wasn't thinking about how it would affect the usability of my site for my visitors. Bad move on my part! I have decided on a redesign so now I just need to figure out what I want to do.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look and offer feedback!

~Brennie

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
Comments on my test Redesign
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
Hi all, I have redesigned my site (a test page) to make it more reader-friendly, since it's a reading site & my current design impedes the reading experience. The layout is part fluid & part fixed, due to the sizes of the image I chose & the width of the menu. Right now the site is viewable in a screen resolution of 800 without the addition of bottom scrollbars or overlap. About 6% of my viewers use 800. I use 1024 & when viewing in that & higher, there's more space on the right. I'd love opinions on whether I should design it to fit nicely in 1024 & not worry about 800?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:35:37 AM by Brennie369 »

Offline Jonasu

• Space Explorer
    • bandstarter
Re: Comments on my test Redesign
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
Hi, I think I like the old design more. But the new is quiet nice too.
But I do think that you need to work on the design a bit more.

First of all I think that you should put the links column to the left and have the 'about this site' column in the middle.
I also think that you have way too mush text on the front page. Lessen it by at least half.

Yes your body tag code is correct but it is the :left 1%; code that make so it doesn't work.
Remove all of them. You also can't have the width at 100%. Set it to a fixed width. 976px will make the page look good in 1024 and above.
I also think that you should put all text between div tags in 3 columns. It will make it a bit easier to make the page
display correctly.
Hope this help a bit and excuse me for my poor English.

Offline Jonasu

• Space Explorer
    • bandstarter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
Try to move the "I started this site in late 2003 ----and Share the Inspiration!" part of the text and put it under a
"about me" or "about this site" link in the menu.

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
First & foremost, thank you for taking the time to look and offer comments, I appreciate it! Now to respond to your comments:

Try to move the "I started this site in late 2003 ----and Share the Inspiration!" part of the text and put it under a
"about me" or "about this site" link in the menu.

The only thing with this is that this site has alot of 'reading' content, like poetry (some long) & short stories, so there's alot of pages that are going to be longer than this test page which will be the home page. Part of the reason it seems long is because I have a narrow text column. The purpose of this redesign is to make the content easier and more inviting to read. Narrower paragraphs are one important factor that I read.

I also think that you should put all text between div tags in 3 columns. It will make it a bit easier to make the page display correctly.

They are all div tags, with the exception of the first textual column which is the p tag & doesn't need to be in a div, right?

Thanks again!

Offline neetagov

• Spacescooter Operator
    • OurMantra Web Design
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
I would recommend using google analytics to see where the highest bounces are coming from and of course the lowest. 35% is not bad at all--dont sweat that. You should be more focused on getting the right audience to the site and then making sure they are getting what they came for. good luck