Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Server Information and capablity  (Read 2846 times)

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
Server Information and capablity
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »
Hi, I was speaking at another forums in reference to a site I'm building. The issue came up as to how big of a site can the script handle, but the real issue was on the server. I would just like to know with the basic hosting plan I have, how much of the below can I handle. This would be a social site with members, pics uploads, video up load and other features, here is what the other person wrote:

I asked: How much can the script hold?

well 10,000's of members., there is no real way you can work this out, but the rule of thumb is a sever can handle 50,000 members, of cause this is not a single core 2.6ghz with 1gb ram. that wouldnt do it, so you are talking quad cores and 16-32gb ram + servers can hold upto 128gb of ram today, but they are not cheap. and a cluster would run faster with a lot more members, if you have so many members and a lot are active, then you should be making the money to get top of the range servers

After how many members should I expect to have to upgrade so my site runs smooth without problems?...Thanks.

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Server Information and capablity
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »
Well, if you reached that point, I would highly consider looking into a VPS plan at the least:

http://www.lunarpages.com/virtual-private-server/

or perhaps a low-end dedicated server:

http://www.lpdedicated.com/
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »
Hey Mitch, Thanks for the info, what I would like to know is somewhat an idea when I reach a certain # of members should I consider switching, how much can the basic plan hold? Example: 10K members 5K and so on, will changing to a new server have my site down for a while?

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »
Would be hard to tell by membership, as it would be more judged on how hard your site was on the server to the other people you are sharing the server with.  We would definitely give you a heads up though if that ever became an issue - would never leave you out in the cold. :)
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!