Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: stumped on how to fix this problem  (Read 406 times)

Offline doh!

• Intergalactic Superstar
stumped on how to fix this problem
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »
Hi, I have set up a PHP website. I use css to handle the font size and indentation information.

Here's a clip of the CSS file:
body { font-size:18.5px; font-weight:normal; font-family:"times new roman", "serif"; background-color: #3b8544;}

td {vertical-align:top;}

p {text-indent:2em; font-size:18.5px; font-weight:normal; color:black; line-height:20px; text-align:justify;  margin-left:2em; margin-right:2em; margin-top:0px;  margin-bottom:0px;}

In all the files I use <p></p> for placing text in paragraphs. On my computer, and all computers I've tried, this look correct. there is an indent of 2em. Looks fine in Firefox and IE. However, some people have reported that when they view the pages, they get indent of 2 space, 4 space, and 8 space. they suggested that I make the spacing even. I go back to check the web pages they referenced, and they all look like 2em spacing.

So my question is: What is causing this problem on some people's computers? Is there something to fix on my code, or how to fix it on their computers? If they are using a proxy or firewall, can that be responsible for jumbling things?

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: stumped on how to fix this problem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:12:01 AM »
I would ask them what browser/OS they are using and compare that with what you are using.  For example, depending on what version of Internet Explorer you are using, it may look different. 

This post might also help:
http://css.weblogsinc.com/2006/07/24/conditional-css-not-just-for-ie/
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!