Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: I think I came up with one of the biggest ideas ever...  (Read 4116 times)

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
I think I came up with one of the biggest ideas ever...
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »
Hi everyone, I just finished a new website, it's not a major development because I wanted to make it as simple as possible, anyhow, check out my new idea and tell me what you think...

<link removed -- site is no longer active>
This topic has been kept as the subject matter discussion may be of general interest to others -- Mod.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:35:29 AM by MrPhil »

Offline Radeon

• Blueglue.us Webmaster
  • Galactic Royalty
    • Blueglue.us
Re: I think I came up with one of the biggest ideas ever...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
Dude no just no...

Have you ever tryed to count the stars on the nightsky? That is exactly what will happen with that site, the only difference is that you actually reach these stars! Assuming you wont loose count or get tired, or just flat out brake apart because of some major headache...  :hypno:
Excuses and woman are equaly tiring...

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:50:52 PM »
Hi Radeon, I don't understand what you mean about "thats exactly what will happen to that site", or assuming I won't get tired or flat break apart.....

Offline MNM

• Galactic Royalty
  • Hosted on server: TYR
    • Mardian Natural Medicine
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
There is a major flaw in your theory....

The internet is constantly evolving in in a matter of a few months you would have countless dead links. Your idea would only be viable if you had a way to verify the links were active.

If I visited your site and clicked on a few links and found dead ends then I would leave pretty fast.

Really your idea is great but I don't know if it is much different from me randomly punching domains into the address bar. Would visitors really be interested in visiting random sites?

Offline Solitudeone

• Spacescooter Operator
    • CastleSolitudeArts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »
With all due respect, I would have to agree that keeping up with the links would be something of a headache. A number of dead links would be expected in this format, though I think you would lose visitors because of them.
Wish you luck with the site.

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »
Hi, thanks much for your inputs, it really helps me see different views. I see what you mean about the dead links and keeping up with them. As the site gets larger and larger,  I will start to use software to update the page instead of manually like now. The software would check for dead links and replace them with the next in line. As far as it not being different form typing in a random site on the address bar, now you most probaly don't type the address on the bar, you most likely seach for the topic unless it's a site you go to constantly and know the address, but the page as I see it will eventually turn into a page where everything you can possibly need will be listed, eventually, I will insert a search on the top of the page so surfers can find anything they want, but all this happens as the site grows... Thanks much...Please feel free to reply, it helps me alot to hear others opinions...

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 05:08:58 AM »
Your business model simply does not make sense. You say you are going to eventually remove dead links but someone has paid you for those links to be listed "forever". How can you remove the link that you have said will be listed forever. You say that you will not accept adult or scam links, but whats to keep someone from changing their content? How will you police the links? Assuming the page does grow to an immense size, how will you deal with the load time? Even straight text will eventually grow so large as to cause timeout problems. You say you are going to add a search feature, but how effective can a search on simple domain names or 20 characters of anchor text be effective. Also adding the search feature would seem to invalidate the original premise of "The quicker you sign up the higher your page ranks". How will you sustain the site as the list becomes huge? The larger the list is, there is less benefit from signing up so your revenues will drop, yet you will still be left with the costs to maintain and police the site. While I wish you much luck in your endeavor, I think you need to re-examine your business model.

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
Thanks wektech, those are good questions which will help me...Here's how I plan so far:

As far as listing the site forever as I state, I think I will have to let buyers know that if there site is dead it will be removed. Listing the site forever would be as long as the site is live, I think that those who are at a lower position will benefit from that as they'll move up, but those who paid have the option of selling their listing to anyone, I have an option for that. I know people start websites and then shut them down "So I kept that in mind" by giving them a resell right.

Quote: " You say that you will not accept adult or scam links, but whats to keep someone from changing their content? How will you police the links?"

As sites register, I check them, if they are changed later down the line and content was changed to Adult or scam site, The link will be removed. How will I police them? I will have a script developed once the site grows.

Quote: How will I deal with the load time? It will take a while for that problem to occur, I think there will be something that will help me in that sense.

Quote: "Also adding the search feature would seem to invalidate the original premise of "The quicker you sign up the higher your page ranks". 

Adding a search once the page grows largely is to benefit the surfer. It would not invalidate the original promise because surfers are not going to search right away, most surfers surf the first portion of the page, if they don't find what they need, then they will search, but those who register and are ranked high, will be viewed always. The search function is also to help those sites listed far down the page.

Quote: "The larger the list is, there is less benefit from signing up so your revenues will drop, yet you will still be left with the costs to maintain and police the site."

That's why I need to insert a search to help those other site listed far down, the profits might drop a bit, but as the page grows, I will be selling advertising spots toward the right side which is why I left it empty. Yes, the longer the list, the less benefit to sign up, in one sense, but on the other, the larger the list the more traffic. Plus in the future, I might add a section toward the middle of the page called "Most viewed" even if your are ranked lower you have a chance of ranking high, "These are just ideas I'm putting together to improve browsing the page"

I just finished this site about 2 days ago. The page I have now is really a "Ruff Draft" of my idea.
I still have some tweaking to do to it and things I have to fix which is why I appreciate everyones comments. Eventually, once the site starts to bring major traffic, I will pay someone to develop a script for my site which will do what I want it to do Example: Checking broken links, checking website content and so on...

The page might not stay the way it looks right now, I might list sites in categories, listing them the same way, first come first serve, but not sure yet, eventho, I think that will help surfers.

Thanks much for your comments, I'm going to go back and insert some "Terms and Conditions" under the FAQ's section.

Offline cindytn

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »
I'm sorry, but I just don't like the idea personally...... as a consumer.  Isn't this how sites like Yahoo started out? When Yahoo started out, the page appeared as a categorical list of links, exactly how you've laid out yours almost. Remember that?  Of course, that was 10+ years ago, and I'm not sure how old you are, but even Yahoo ventured beyond that look and feel because it's not realistic to think that people will scroll through, what will become, pages of links to find what they want.  It won't happen.  People don't like to use multi-click searches, and they sure don't like to scroll through pages and pages of text links to find what they're looking for.  Instead, I'm going to jump over to Google or Yahoo and type in exactly what I'm looking for.  I just don't see any benefit whatsoever to your site idea.  I'm sorry.  Don't mean to sound harsh, but I do think I'm being realistic about the typical consumer's desires.

Offline earnj0

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »
Hi and thanks for the reply, it really helps me to hear comments form others...I don't really remember when Yahoo started so i can't relate to it, eventually the page will change itself as I come up with better ideas to improve it for the surfers, right now it's still small, as it grows, I will have to insert a search box at the top, probably put a category link so people can jump right into what they are searching for and so on..The page is at it's early development stages right now and it's not at it's full potential yet..Thanks for your honest reply...

PS: I hope it can come close to what yahoo is..lol...

Offline Radeon

• Blueglue.us Webmaster
  • Galactic Royalty
    • Blueglue.us
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
Hi and thanks for the reply, it really helps me to hear comments form others...I don't really remember when Yahoo started so i can't relate to it, eventually the page will change itself as I come up with better ideas to improve it for the surfers, right now it's still small, as it grows, I will have to insert a search box at the top, probably put a category link so people can jump right into what they are searching for and so on..The page is at it's early development stages right now and it's not at it's full potential yet..Thanks for your honest reply...

PS: I hope it can come close to what yahoo is..lol...

Its great you see it that way and have goals, if you keep that attitude you will go far trust me!  :shades:
Excuses and woman are equaly tiring...

Offline pendrive

• Freedom
  • Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »
Definitely an awesome attitude! Keep it up! :D
Time to live for today!