Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Which better VPS, Reseller or dedicated server  (Read 2329 times)

Offline OOzy Pal

• Trekkie
Which better VPS, Reseller or dedicated server
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »
Hello,

I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

I own a small web design company and most of my client would me to host their website and give them integrated server.
What is the difference between all three.

Can I resell on VPS? Can I change the php.ini?

When do I need to use VPS, reseller or dedicated server?

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Which better VPS, Reseller or dedicated server
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »
How experienced are you with web hosting?  If not very - you might go with the reseller route and if you know your way around a sever or you want to learn, then VPS or dedicated might be a good route to go.
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline OOzy Pal

• Trekkie
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »
What kind of experience I should have? Even though, I have been a Linux user for 4 years but I guess it needs more than that.

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:20:31 AM »
Hi OOzy Pal,

Let me to try to reply on your questions.

You can re-sell on VPS and dedicated servers and you have full access to all settings on them including php.ini.

As for the differences between reseller, VPS and dedicated plans. On the reseller plan, you just get an interface to manage accounts you resell, but their limits and server configuration are pre-defined and managed by Lunarpages. You can create custom php.ini on each account still here, but some other server side configurations will not be available for you. You can consider this plan as you get on a shared server with access to some features to manage accounts.

On VPS, you have full administrator access to the server where you can make any configuration changes. Here you can have your limits on the accounts as they suit you. But VPS servers do not have a lot of resources available and I would recommend it for one site with near to medium popularity or a few dozen of simple sites like just a couple of html pages.

Finally, dedicated servers have much more resource available along with all advantages of the VPS plan.

So, what to choose depends on the experience with web hosting as Mitch mentioned with reseller plan for those who don't want to take care about the server or just doesn't have a time to get skills in server administration via VPS plan to dedicated servers for reselling person with mutlitple clients.

Depending on how much clients you have and the popularity of their sites and keeping in mind your Linux experience, I would recommend you to start with a VPS or dedicated server to have some more ability to change server settings as per the needs of you and your customers.

I hope this helps. Please advice if you have any further questions or concerns.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline OOzy Pal

• Trekkie
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:17:37 AM »
Hello,

Great info.

I have few more questions. I wish if you can answer them.
  • Can I have brandable (put my own logo) control panels in VPS, Reseller or Dedicated
  • When you say "a few dozen of simple sites like just a couple of html pages", do you mean I can have for example 40 different small html sites (~5 pages) with 40 different Control Panel
  • Are the control panels I will make for my client on all three plans similar?
  • What do you mean by medium popularity? How many people usually enter medium popularity sites?
  • Lunarpages for sure manages the reseller server and I (customer) should manage the dedicated, right? How about VPS?
  • I do have a reasonable amount of Linux experience as it is my primary OS, If I can change the server settings, Am I responsible for the security of the server? Who takes care of the server security?
  • What I made a wrong setting in the VPS server and it went down, will lunarpages help me bringing it up?

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

In reply on your questions:

Can I have brandable (put my own logo) control panels in VPS, Reseller or Dedicated

Yes, for VPS and Dedicated plans. On reseller one, you have a default theme without any brands which is not customizable.

When you say "a few dozen of simple sites like just a couple of html pages", do you mean I can have for example 40 different small html sites (~5 pages) with 40 different Control Panel

Control panel can be only one on the server. But if you mean 40 different accounts for users in it, yes, you can have that (keep in mind, Plesk licensing costs depend on the amount of accounts the license is for).

Are the control panels I will make for my client on all three plans similar?

Sorry, I'm not sure I got you here. Can you please elaborate on this question.

What do you mean by medium popularity? How many people usually enter medium popularity sites?

It is hard to define "medium popularity site" as server load and resource usage depend not only on the amount of site visitors but also on how well the site handles the load. Using that term I wanted to say that hosting a site with hundreds of concurrent users whose requests go to multiple scripts (like popular forums for example) in VPS is almost impossible.

Lunarpages for sure manages the reseller server and I (customer) should manage the dedicated, right? How about VPS?

VPS management is your responsibility like on dedicated plan as well.

I do have a reasonable amount of Linux experience as it is my primary OS, If I can change the server settings, Am I responsible for the security of the server? Who takes care of the server security?

Since server managed is your responsibility on both VPS and dedicated plans, the security of your server is also your responsibility as nobody else can know how the server is setup to secure it.

What I made a wrong setting in the VPS server and it went down, will lunarpages help me bringing it up?

Yeah, sure. We will be helping with issues like this.

I hope this helps. Please advise if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline OOzy Pal

• Trekkie
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
When you say "a few dozen of simple sites like just a couple of html pages", do you mean I can have for example 40 different small html sites (~5 pages) with 40 different Control Panel

Control panel can be only one on the server. But if you mean 40 different accounts for users in it, yes, you can have that (keep in mind, Plesk licensing costs depend on the amount of accounts the license is for).

Ok, If I can create 40 different accounts and sell them, how can each client control his hosting i.e. add emails. Will each account have its cpanel?

Lunarpages for sure manages the reseller server and I (customer) should manage the dedicated, right? How about VPS?

VPS management is your responsibility like on dedicated plan as well.
I do have a reasonable amount of Linux experience as it is my primary OS, If I can change the server settings, Am I responsible for the security of the server? Who takes care of the server security?
Since server managed is your responsibility on both VPS and dedicated plans, the security of your server is also your responsibility as nobody else can know how the server is setup to secure it.

I am not going to do much except selling accounts. Now, how about update or security patches; who do them? Still me?

Finally, is it possible that I rent a dedicated server and have LP manages it completely like it is a reseller account and I only create and sell accounts?

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »

Ok, If I can create 40 different accounts and sell them, how can each client control his hosting i.e. add emails. Will each account have its cpanel?

Control panels usually allow access to account management functions such as emails, FTP accounts, redirector setups etc. etc. if you login under the username on the account.

I am not going to do much except selling accounts. Now, how about update or security patches; who do them? Still me?

Yes, server security is your responsibility as the server owner. With managed intense addon, the security upgrades of most important components such as server kernel will be handled by LP staff. Please also be advised, control panel usually make the updates easy to handle, if you don't have very customized setup.

Finally, is it possible that I rent a dedicated server and have LP manages it completely like it is a reseller account and I only create and sell accounts?

It will be our reseller accounts we offer on the server plan then. Why we can't offer full management for dedicated and VPS servers as there would be too many differences between each different server purchased and managed by different user which would slow down the administration work as well as can be the cause of confusion.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline OOzy Pal

• Trekkie
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »

Control panels usually allow access to account management functions such as emails, FTP accounts, redirector setups etc. etc. if you login under the username on the account.

I know it has been long time since I initiated this thread.

I am still not sure about this question. Which can I create multiple control panels in one VPS account?

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »

I know it has been long time since I initiated this thread.

I am still not sure about this question. Which can I create multiple control panels in one VPS account?

You can only one control panel per server. If I didn't understood your question correctly, please elaborate.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov