Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: APF/BFD not installed!  (Read 1957 times)

Offline roller

• Spacescooter Operator
APF/BFD not installed!
« on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »
Hi I hope this is a misunderstanding. :?

My welcome e-mail stated:
Improved Security Features Included for Free
---------------------------------------------------------------
We now include APF firewall and BFD services as part of the dedicated server installation package.  The APF firewall has settings for port and IP allow and deny options to protect your system, while BFD or Brute Force Detection will gauge SSH attempts on the server.  Whenever a user tries to brute force attack the server via multiple failed logins, this service will block the IP doing the attack in the APF firewall.

Please note tht if you want to add your email address to receive emails when an IP is blocked, you can edit the following file via SSH on the server:

/usr/local/bfd/conf.bfd
Change ALERT_USR="0" to ALERT_USR="1" then fill out EMAIL_USR= to your email address and SUBJ_USR= to whatever subject you would like to have.

If an IP is blocked that shouldn't be blocked or you want to whitelist an IP so it isn't blocked in the future, you can edit the following file:

/usr/local/bfd/ignore.hosts

Put one IP per line to whitelist them.

If you would like to disable BFD, simply remove the cron located at /etc/cron.d/bfd.  Please note that if you would like any of the above setup for you for email options or otherwise, please email dedicated@lunarpages.com with the request.

But I just found out that APF/BFD are not installed on my server. When asked, dedicated support wanted to charge me by the hour to install this. Am I understanding this wrong? I just don't feel it's appropriate to be charged for something that was supposed to be included in the beginning.

My ticket ID is 953111. This issue is discussed in the last few messages. I hope someone here can clarify this issue.

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
Re: APF/BFD not installed!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:37:32 AM »
Hello Roller,

I apologize for this confusion. Indeed, the customers without managed addon do not get installed APF and BFD which is mentioned in your welcome email which includes the part for those who purchased the mentioned addon. I'll reply to your ticket to get this situation sorted out.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline roller

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:24:09 AM »
Thanks for clearing up the issue! :yey: You guys are great as always.

The welcome e-mail really was confusing though. I was led to believe that it was already installed, because it gave directions to how to disable it.

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:17:42 AM »
Hi,

We are always happy to help. I understand the confusion and we have taken steps to not allow it to happen again.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov