Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: IP Address Location (City/Country)  (Read 77850 times)

Offline Unimatic1140

IP Address Location (City/Country)
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:12:17 AM »
I've recently seen some newspaper comment boards automatically determine and post where I'm posting from via my IP address and would love to add the same functionality to my discussion board.

Does anyone happen to know of a way (such as a Perl Module) that can programatically determine the physical location (and place it into a variable) of the users posting a message to my site via one of the Perl programs I wrote.  I know how to determine the IP address and I record those, but I would like to not have to manually take those address to another website and look the location up manually.   :?

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: IP Address Location (City/Country)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »
They don't seem to work very well. Whenever a site "figures out" where I am based on my ISP's IP address, it's usually some little town a hundred miles away where their cable system taps into the Internet. And if someone is on dialup (e.g., AOL), who knows what IP address will be used, or how far away it is from where the user actually is. In other words, an IP address can only give you a very  rough idea of where a user is, often no better than country level. I wouldn't bother with it.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline chrislim2888

Re: IP Address Location (City/Country)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
Actually there is a free and easy way to get the location info from html 5 technology. See this http://www.ipgeo5.com