Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: CentOS upgrade coming?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Mysterious Mose

CentOS upgrade coming?
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
Does Lunarpages have any plans to upgrade to the 5.x CentOS in the near future?

I keep running into dependency problems, but can't upgrade the required deps on CentOS 4.6.
But if I look at the CentOS 5 repositories, the versions that I need are readily available.

In particular, I need a newer versions of curl, curl-devel, boost, and boost-devel.

Life would sure be easier if I was using CentOS 5.

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
Re: CentOS upgrade coming?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
Hi,

You can request CentOs 5 installation pucrhasing a server and the os will be installed for free. Of course, we are going to migrate default OS to centos 5 in the nearest feature as well.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline Mysterious Mose

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »
You can request CentOs 5 installation pucrhasing a server and the os will be installed for free.

When I signed up (less than two weeks ago), I specifically asked if I could have CentOS 5 on my server.
I was told that there would be a $75 fee for this version of CentOS.

Who can I contact to see if I can change over to CentOS 5 (without the $75 fee)?

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
Drop in an e-mail to dedicated@lunarpages.com, and you might point them to this thread here and I am sure they will be happy to help you out.
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline Mysterious Mose

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:36:43 PM »
Drop in an e-mail to dedicated@lunarpages.com, and you might point them to this thread here and I am sure they will be happy to help you out.

Happy to help me out of $75, but nothing else.

I explained that I had told Lunarpages that I wanted CentOS 5, I'm not sure if it was when I first called, or when the representative called me back about my new account. In any case, it was before I had access to the server.
The full reply was:
"By default we do not offer Centos 5 unless specifically requested at setup. If you wish to have a new server formated with this version please provide us with the last 4 digits of billing method on file to authorize the upgrade and charge of $75 for a new server setup."

Anyhow, if anyone is reading this who might be thinking about a new dedicated server, note that:
 1. Lunarpages hides the fact that CentOS 5 is available, but it most definitely is.
 2. Have an email trail showing that you want CentOS 5 before giving Lunarpage your credit card number.

Of course, we are going to migrate default OS to centos 5 in the nearest feature as well.

Any hints on when Lunarpage will start this migration to CentOS 5?

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »
Hi Mysterious Mose,

Sorry to hear about that confusion and there will be steps taken to make the availability of Centos 5 more noticeable.

I can't give some specific time period of when all our new dedicated servers will be Centos 5, but we are already testing software that should be running on them and the upgrade should happen within a few months.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov