Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Fastest Wireless Broadband  (Read 3557 times)

Offline jasher

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • Astreaux World Internet Radio
Fastest Wireless Broadband
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:03:37 AM »
Last month I launched this site - FastestWirelessBroadband.com to cover the growing wireless broadband industry.  I had worked with a specific carrier for a year on a similar project, but this site is not carrier-specific, which allows for more content and less-biased advice.

Now that I have content in place and as I wait for SEO to sink in, I'm focusing on design elements and issues, and would appreciate you taking a look-see.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Jerry

<Although this site apparently no longer exists, some of the discussion below is worth keeping -- Mod.>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:53:08 PM by MrPhil »

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Fastest Wireless Broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:46:09 AM »
I like it, very slick design!  :yey:
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
Hello:  :smiling:

I finished going through your site. It is well thought out and I felt comfortable browsing through your site. I've been to other sites before like yours and found them overwhelming with too much information or too many ads; I left feeling unsure what I should get when trying to narrow down choices.

I didn't feel overwhelmed nor did I feel bombarded with ads. Job well done.  :clap:

In your "Hot Deals" I passed along your info on international calls too.

This site is a definite bookmark!

Thank you,
Sage

Offline jasher

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »
Thanks, Sage.  Yes, that Int'l calling deal is new and hot. 

I'm working now on a "Get Started" section that walks people through the process all the way to purchasing a card and service.  I want to carry people through each step all the way to making the final product choice, and going to the advertiser's site where they make the purchase.    I've used that on other sites successfully.  And since this does indeed have lots of options, the visitors are going to need more hand-holding.

I also decided to change the hyperlink text styling from the orange with no underlining, to the more traditional and browser-default blue hyperlink text, and purple for visited pages.  Why?

In e-commerce (especially in competitive markets where lots of online shopping options exist), as we (webmasters/marketers) try to build trust with potential buyers, it's important that the website doesn't get too fancy with the way people view and navigate the site.  Subconsciously, visitors who might become buyers are constantly checking to make sure that "things are where and how they're supposed to be" on a web site.  If a visitor who's trying to buy has to stop momentarily to understand the site, even subconsciously, it's a flag to that visitor that maybe a more trustworthy site would be a better place to shop.   Since it's so easy on the web to leave one store and go to a competitor, the website should never get in the way of the purchase.   The visitor is think "buy".  Don't make him think "website". 

So even though I got a visually-rich style around the content, I'm using white background color with dark text in the content area, and blue hyperlink text that's purple after clicking, which are all traditional styles.  E-commerce sites are a bad place to put navigation to the right, because ppl expect it on the left or the top. 

I hope to get to the point where visitors don't ever think "cool site", but end the visit thinking "that was helpful and easy and a safe purchase". 

Thanks again

Jerry

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
Hiya!

You have some great points and something to keep in mind.

With the new addition of expanding our site we want to have a news feed. I like what you have done with the news on your site related to the industry and your business. I've been looking around at different options and possibilities. Diving into this seems somewhat overwhelming. Do you have any pointers on how I can accomplish this for websites -- what about daily feeds?

Offline jasher

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
I presume you mean you want to offer a news feed of your content, then, right?

(Original) Content is King.  Delivering news feeds from other sites is a nice supplement to your news, but shouldn't be the main source of news on your site.  You should write the articles yourself, demonstrating your knowledge in the industry.  The wireless industry churns out a lot of news every day.  I use a feed reader to manage feeds, review articles, pick out stuff that is relevant, and create an article in my own words to publish on the site.  Ideally you should do the same as opposed to copy/paste press releases.  You want to create news articles that ultimately relate back to your service and help promote it or justify a purchase, and be sure to end the article with an appropriate Call To Action. 

Sometimes your content might be a full article, other times a 2 sentence paragraph with a link to something relevant.  If you run your site with a content management system, you should create an industry news section and start adding content.  If you don't have a CMS that makes adding content easy, then get a free blog going.  Check the Fantastico button in your Lunar control panel for a couple of blogs you can add to your site.  Set up a blog subdomain and install it there. Link from your main site back to your blog, and link from your blog articles back to relevant pages on your main site.  In any case you want to do this with easy web publishing tools so you can focus on the content, not the coding.

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »
Hello:

I've just recently started a blog and finished up with redesigning it a couple of weeks ago -- have some published articles and have future ones in mind. There will be also others that will be contributing to the blog, as well.

Aside from this, I wanted to add a news feed as part of a Resource Center which will have some scientific content.... the blog portion is linked to this new site addition. Perhaps I should PM you on this.... I'm in the working stages of this and it's not ready for public viewing, but I have the layout designed. Perhaps if you saw it, it would make better sense.

Thanks for your input,
Sage

Offline emoruffino

• Trekkie
  • EMOruffino.com
    • EMOruffino
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »
very good site, i love the layout.
EMOruffino.com | BNStv.com | BNSradio.com | ContentZero.com | Kittyfire.net