Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Health Consultation Site  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
Health Consultation Site
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »
Hello:

I haven't been around for awhile and have a site that we're building with new content. I have an issue with the footer, but other than that it looks okay (we think).

We're very interested in feedback and any pointers on layout; later on there will be another portion added onto the site.

Main site
www.rhrplus.com

Blog set-up (completed recently)
http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/

Thanks,
Sage

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:29:56 PM by Sage »

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Consultation Service Site
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:27:38 AM »
Looking good!  :thumb:
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »
Thank you!  :happy: I've worked very hard in putting this together. My biggest challenge will be with a huge addition of a resource center for research purposes.

Sage

Offline jasher

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • Astreaux World Internet Radio
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:49:09 AM »
It's a clean, uncluttered design.  I have some suggestions for you to improve usability, help strengthen the sales pitch, and increase search engine traffic.

"Welcome to our site" can be removed, and replaced with a relevant header.  That's what people say on websites when they can't think of anything to say.   :yep:  Change to "Restorative Health Research Plus, where __________" and fill in a tag line, mission statement, etc.  Something to move forward the goal of the site, or why people can benefit from reading your pages.  Say something relevant there.

Every web page has a Call To Action (CTA)...the next step for people that are interested in your site and have read that page's content.  On your home page, your CTA is to click an image to "see the next page".  People already know what clicking a link does, so that's a rather weak CTA...that doesn't build any expectation with readers.  But just above that text and image is an image that says "Learn about the causes". That is your CTA, and I would link that image to the next page and drop the "next page" text and logo image.  Psychologically, it's much stronger if by clicking a link people believe they'll learn about causes, as opposed to clicking a link brings them to the next page.  So make the "Learn about the causes" a link to the next page.  You're creating an expectation in people's minds, and if the next page delivers and people feel they do learn about causes, you've completed that step in the sales process and readers can move on to the next.  If you're concerned about people not realizing the text image is a link, just underline that text in your graphics editor.  People expect blue-underlined text to be a link.  You can also add a on-hover version of the image to emphasize the point that it's a clickable link.

While we're looking at text as an image, there's another policy you should abide by.  Use ALT tags on these types of images.  Alt tags assist the visually-impaired in navigating sites.  Since the relevant text is an image, repeating that text in the ALT tag will assist those visitors.  And one very important subset of "visually impaired" visitors that it will assist (and in return assist you in positioning your sites in the search engines) are the search engine spiders.  Spiders can't "see" images, so rely on ALT tags if available to apply relevance to an image.  If the alt tag said "Learn more about the causes of undetermined ill-health", then that text is used by the search engines to index your pages, and that's much more relevant information than what's currently provided.

Wherevever you use an image to display stylized text, you should add relevant ALT tags.  It'll improve the site's navigability and improve your positioning in the search engines.  In fact all images, including your navigation buttons should have ALT tags.   Taking that concept to the next step, your hyperlinks can and should include Title tags to increase relevance.  Title tags help explain where a link will bring people if they click it.  It's an opportunity to include relevant text that the search engines can read and use.

Hope that helps you.

Jerry

Offline Sage

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »
Hi Jerry!

Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback and insights  :thumb: -- I'm looking for anything to make us stronger in our message and content.

I hope that you stick around the forums, because your observations are valuable and greatly appreciated. I can't thank you enough -- I'm truly on :9: that you have taken the time with sharing valuable information. I'll be incorporating those additions and making those changes as you suggested along with some other improvements.

Many thanks, again.

Sage

Offline jasher

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
    • Astreaux World Internet Radio
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
Hi Sage,

You're welcome.  I'm just giving back to Lunar Pages who so graciously give us great hosting packages (that keep getting better), and to this community that's helped me in the past.  Karma.   :yep:

And um, check out my post on FastestWirelessBroadband.com and you can return the favor.  That's a site designed for consumers so any user input would be helpful.

Jerry