Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Simple CSS site  (Read 2848 times)

Offline monkeymaster

• Trekkie
Simple CSS site
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
 :DI am wondering if I can get some looks at my CSS site before I begin showing my customers.www.jdwebdesignstudio.com

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
    • Yuma Arizona Information
Re: Simple CSS site
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
What resolutions have you viewed the pages at? There were some odd things happening when viewed at resolutions other than 1024 * 768, such as vanishing images, repeating background images, and a less than flattering background color. I am not a fan of the need to use scroll bars in order to read text that might otherwise fit on the page. Overall a very good looking site but attention to these details might improve your results with customers. I think that web designers are expected to show their ability at search engine optimization as well. This seems to have been overlooked in creating the page.

Offline monkeymaster

• Trekkie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
I just looked at the page in every screen resolution that I can, and I saw no repeating images.  I guess that I will just make sure that I use {background-image:no-repeat;} at all those places.  As far as the optimization, I have not even started that yet.  This page is just a shell so far.  If you could let me know of where you are seeing those strange effects, that would be great.

Offline monkeymaster

• Trekkie
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »
I meant to write {background-repeat:no-repeat;}

Offline monkeymaster

• Trekkie
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
I think that I have fixed the background image issues with the site.  Can anyone check to see if they are seeing any strange effects with my background images in different screen resolutions because I can't get any of my computers to do it?  The only thing that I notice is a delay with my background hover when the image loads the first time.

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:34:06 AM »
OK I looked again and the image html_background is repeating on the y axis. This is because you declare background-repeat twice on line 5 then again on line 7, the second time calling for the repeat. The other effect is due to using a 1000 by 1000 background image with a wrapper width of 788 which effectively removes the "sideways text logos" from view and loosing the framing effect at lower resolutions. I also got some interesting effects on the menu and footer when using large font size settings in the browser.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:45:45 AM by wektech »

Offline monkeymaster

• Trekkie
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the over use of the repeats.  I know that at different screen resolutions people would see different parts of the background.  I really don't care much about that because it is a pixel controlled site.  I just want to make sure that they see something that is pleasing.  If I went to narrow on the background, I feel that it would look a little lame on a wide screen monitor.  As far as the text, I think that I will force that to a certain size.

Thanks for the help.  You are both awesome and helpful.  By the way, my wife loves the brown background.  What do you have against brown? :D

Now on to the search engine optimization.

----monkeymaster

Offline wektech

• Master Jedi
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
Brown? A Light Olive maybe!

By the way check for repeating background color declarations in your CSS. line 3 & 9.

Have you considered a liquid width design at all? Imagine two different clients, the first looks at your site with a 15in monitor and 800x600 resolution, the next with a 22in widescreen flat panel. Liquid width is tricky, but the results can be worth the effort.

Offline monkeymaster

• Trekkie
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »
It is so nice to talk to somebody that knows what they are talking about.  That is why I made the switch to lunar pages.  When I was on tripod, people did not know much of anything.  I have done liquid sites before, but they are really tough to manage with all of the background imaging that I like to do. 

Yes, I do need to evaluate the duplication in the css code.  Sometimes, I get a little crazy in my rough drafts. :D