Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Newbie building an E-commerce Site Page Mason vs. ?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline CKL Keepsakes

• Space Explorer
Newbie building an E-commerce Site Page Mason vs. ?
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:36 PM »
Hi Everyone, I've never hosted or built a site. I'm stumbling through the beginnings and reading more and more forums. Before I get to involved, I was wondering if anyone has built a good e-commerce store with the beta Page Mason version LP provide, and if so what shopping cart was used.  Otherwise, what software would you recommend to build the site and shopping cart.

On a separate note, I monkeyed with Page Mason enough to publish a generic 'site under work'.  However, when I log back into Page Mason, it appears to display the Page Mason tool bar & navigation links, but no content to edit - just blank space. Do I need to take down the site to edit? If so how do I do this

www.cklkeepsakes.com   

Thank you for the help!

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
Re: Newbie building an E-commerce Site Page Mason vs. ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
Welcome to Lunarpages and the Lunarforums!  Happy to have you!

Here are the Shopping Carts we have avaliable with your hosting plan here:

* osCommerce Shopping Cart
    * Cube Cart Shopping Cart
    * Zen Cart Shopping Cart

If it were me, I would go with either a shopping cart or doing the site with PageMason instead of doing both.  Think that might be easier to manage in the long run.  Also the previously mentioned shopping carts can be installed on your hosting account via the easy Fantastico installer.

With your PageMason problems, are you using Firefox or Internet Explorer?  PageMason is still a work in progress, but a very nice solution for getting a simple web site up and running.  Hope that helps!
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline CKL Keepsakes

• Space Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:03 PM »
Just to be clear, whatever route I go I will need both to use both website building software (Page Mason, Dreamweaver, etc...) and then additional shop cart software (Zen, osCommerce, etc), right?  Are you saying to choose what is more important the build of the site or the shopping cart and then based on the answer to this choose the corresponding software?  For example, let's say I think Zencart is the way I decide to go (not that I do), from there I figure out what webpage editor to use?

I'm typically use Mozilla Firefox, it seemed to work initially when I first edited the website.

Thanks again!

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:29:38 PM »
Well, the shopping cart in most cases would take over your web site - as it works as a sort of content management system for your content.  Just going with one or the other would save you work down the road.  With many of the shopping carts out there, pretty much all you do is pick a design (and there are template files so you can customize it some) and then put in your info about what you want to sell. 
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!