Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: "watermarking" for GIFs...?  (Read 7243 times)

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
"watermarking" for GIFs...?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 02:28:49 PM »
Internet Explorer's "Copy" command (as opposed to the "Save Picture As..." command) appears to fill transparent portions of images with white.  Since the copyright notice is in white (on a gray-turned-transparent background), this is lost in your pseudo-screen capture.  To view the actual image, use the "Save Picture As..." command, save the actual image, and open it in your graphics program.  It should appear to be black text on a gray background, with a white copyright notice visible up the left-hand side.  Turn on transparency to see the full effect.

Eliz.

Offline Yaxley

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://southwestwoodcrafts.com
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2003, 07:16:48 PM »
Yep, it does work when I do the "save as" and put it onto a colored background. I thought I did that earlier but guess not:) What you have done will help you for your problem, but I don't think it will give me very much protection. I've used digimark, and of course putting a faint image into the backgroud. Sure wish there was a way that a MOAB would go off when they right clicked on a copyrighted image:)
Yaxley

Tired of the same old stuff? Unique gifts at:
http://southwestwoodcrafts.com
http://westernwoodartist.com

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 08:45:30 AM »
Just a little update:

I haven't yet caught anybody stealing these images, but that'll probably take a while.  (I have loads of lessons, and have only just started marking them.  I'm sure images are being stolen as we speak, but the odds are that it will be unmarked images that are walking out the door.)

A couple posters mentioned that the copyright notice could be edited or cut out.  To avoid cutting, I've figured out to do the copyright notice like this:

This will make the "cutting" process considerably more difficult.  However, the simplest solution (for those that catch the problem) would be to remove the image's transparency and convert the (currently pink) background to white.  Then the copyright notice disappears.

However, I am dealing with educators, not rocket scientists, and these people usually don't know their way around a graphics program (that's why they're stealing my images).  I know that this technique won't stop anybody from stealing, but it does tend to make it easier for me to justify my claim of ownership after the thieves have struck.

Eliz.

Note to "Rhys":  "Eliz." is the proper abbreviation for "Elizabeth".  I'm a "she"!   :lol:

Offline speedy

• Intergalactic Cowboy
    • http://www.speedytexts.com
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2004, 03:45:58 PM »
That's a great idea Elizabeth. I've got another one but I think it applies better to larger images. What if you sliced up your images into tiles? Using 90 degree angled lines you could slice up your images into pieces which if you position correctly will look like a whole image. But when a would be thief tries to download the image they would have to right click as many times as there are tiles.

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2004, 07:03:51 PM »
Yes, but then I'd be looking at so many images!  :cry:  There probably isn't any sure-fire solution, but having the copyright notice on there did recently make it pretty easy to get a stolen image removed. The guy had tried to hotlink an image and place it in his forum posting. The Lunarpages hotlink protection prevented that, so he just stole the image. But that meant that "his" image had my copyright notice visible in the background. The forum administrator got the image down the same day.

Thank you.

Eliz.

Offline etM

• Spaceship Navigator
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 07:54:11 PM »
Hmm... Well, I'm all for freedom of information. Copywriting has its merits, but I think it's a form of control that is futile. The nature if the Internet prohibits ownership of anything anymore, so it seems. I copywrite my work too, as an attempt to prevent theft. One thing you can do is post a notice on your website that all copywrite infringements will be prosecuted to the "fullest extent of the law possible..." to help deter people from stealing your work. Another way to help protect yourself is to find a way to prove that you are the original owner of such a graphic in case of some lawsuit. I think that would be more effective than to try to obfuscate anything, because it's too easy to copy things. Instead, secretly embed data into your image, pixel by pixel that can only be read by a specialized program that will identify these "signatures" and verify ownership. I don't know of any of these programs off hand, but I'm sure they exist. I bet a small Google search would do the trick.

Watch these interesting videos located on TechTV. I agree with most of the views and ideas portrayed.
- etM

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 07:58:53 PM »
There are many programs that hide watermarks in images, but the problem is that the "noise" created by the watermark, while not noticable to the human eye in a JPEG, would likely be quite noticeable in a black-and-white GIF.

I already have copyright notices all over my site, a "Terms of Use" policy, and a lawyer. It doesn't seem to be slowing people down much, though. As for freedom of information, I'm not trying to prevent people from using my site; I'd just rather third parties not try to sell it.

Thank you.

Eliz.

Offline etM

• Spaceship Navigator
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 07:03:34 PM »
Hmm... I'm highly interested in finding a way to prevent such use. I'm actually more interested in the possibility of it being more preventible than it currently is.
- etM

Arngautr

late night ideas and ramblings
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 12:30:39 AM »
Not to sound like a free software zealot but...

PNG!!!!!!!!

there I've said it, but seriously it has trasparency in a full 8-bit alpha channel which MSIE displays as always transparent though some other browsers can handle it properly, might not carry the implications you desire but worth thinking about.  I like PNGs for a lot of reasons over GIFs but not for everything, I tend to value image quality over size for what I do.  

Also consider placing the the phrase: "I illegally stole this image from www.somesite.com" in white on white no matter the format, more likely to get deleted but still amussing.  

Eliz.- your math site is good but for an algebra site, but IMO it need more ring theory and groups and stuff.  Also throw in a few PDEs or some calculus of variations to keep 'em from getting too cocky!  JK  :thumb:

Danielle

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 12:43:12 AM »
Hi,

Have any of you looked into digimarc technology as provided for Adobe's Photoshop?  It is not visible to the human eye and would not be even in black and white gifs/jpegs.  I have this available on my Photoshop and tomorrow or Friday when I have time, I will post some digimarced images here.  The digimarc also is trackable.  If anyone has an image of mine on their site, I am able to find out by this signature on it.  It isn't cheap to use, but it is likely easier/faster than what you are currently using and a lot more proficient.  I'll let you test them with what I provide and then you can be the judge.

Thanks.

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2004, 12:55:52 PM »
OMG! I finally caught somebody so redhanded! Take a look here:

http://mrglick.net/slope%20and%20line%20%27review%27.pdf
(scroll down to page six)
Edit: You may need to copy-n-paste the above URL: the "%20" characters are being turned into spaces, which won't necessarily load the document properly.

I guess transparent GIFs don't PDF so good, huh? And you'll never believe how I found this guy: he actually e-mailed me, right after he viewed his PDF online and realized that there was a "problem", asking for written permission to use my graphics in his classroom materials (in order to comply with his school district's copyright policy).

Can you guess what my answer is going to be?  :poke:

Eliz.

Offline Gwion

• Spaceship Captain
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 04:01:00 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if this is of help but have you tried it with transparent gifs?.
You use your image as background image and put a transparent gif over it. When someone uses right click-save he only saves the transparent one.

However this is no real protection since if you look at the source code (or use copy background I think) you can easily find the image url. But an unexperienced user will be puzzled for a bit and maybe never find out what's wrong. :)

I think you can also block right-click-save with a javascript but personally I am not fond of those.

Gwion

Offline infori2

• Spacescooter Operator
    • http://www.inforiot.com
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 02:50:07 PM »
I realize this is an old thread but I think the answer your looking for is MathML.  It is a markup language that allows you to format formulas without using gifs or other types of images.  Here's a link that tells all.... http://www.w3.org/Math/
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), De Profundis, 1905

http://www.inforiot.com

Offline stapel

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 03:10:07 PM »
MathML doesn't require images. It just requires that users download and install font packages and (often-times commercial) plug-ins, and (for many) downlaod and install a new browser. I'd rather people be able to use my site right away.

http://tech.irt.org/articles/js208/

And using MathML would surely make it easier for educators to steal my material, not harder, since they would only need to do a copy-n-paste of the code, rather than of all the images.

Thank you.

Eliz.