Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Relaunched Site  (Read 1581 times)

Offline ExPat

• Intergalactic Cowboy
    • The Meston Family Genealogy Site
Relaunched Site
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
All,

I'm in the process of the relaunch for our family genealogy site which involved scanning a lot of images from an out of print book by one of my relatives (248 pages) and posting them in some reasonably accessible and hopefully bandwidth friendly format. I'd be interested in general site accessibility and ease of navigation, as well as any general site comments or suggestions.

http://www.mestonclan.com

also referred by my older site at http://www.meston.com if anyone cares to see if that makes sense as well

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Randall

Offline webweaver

• Galactic Royalty
    • weavehouston
Re: Relaunched Site
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
WOW.  I think the site is wonderful!  Nice and understated.  Ambitious project treated with wonderful dignity by having the images of the pages as well as the transcriptions [in progress]. 

The menu is cool.  But once I got into the transcriptions and wanted to go back to the home pages, I really didn't see the About Us at the top of the menu column.  I think that *might* have been clearer if it said something else - maybe even Main Menu or some such.  That is just one person's initial reaction though.

For usability it would be neat if on the "Transcriptions" of the pages, you put for example on the Table of Contents Page the actual links to the transcriptions of those pages?  Or does that go against the definition of them as "transcriptions" if you add the link?  I don't think so and it would really help the usability.  As would making a link at the bottom of each transcribed page to the next.  That way you could easily just go to Next (and maybe Previous?) at the bottom, or use the menu on the left to go to a specific section.  That way you use the best of web capabilities to work through the document in either a sequential way or by using the left Transcriptions menu (or the transcribed and linked Table of Contents page) to go to individual sections.

Anyway, Kudos for a great site design and a wonderful project.

Webweaver

Offline Mitch

• Berserker Poster
    • MitchKeeler.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:07:51 AM »
Really nice, I like it!  :thumb:  The use of gray and the contrast on the page it awesome.  Good work!
New to Web Site Hosting? Check Out the Lunarpages Blog Hosting Guide!

Follow us @lunarpages on Twitter!
Important Threads: Read This Before Posting! | Lunarforums Rules! | Mitch's Link of the Day!
Also, be sure to check out and subscribe to the Lunartics Blog and the Lunarpages Newsletter !

Need Web Hosting Help? Check out the Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki. It has tons of tips, tutorials and resources!

Offline ExPat

• Intergalactic Cowboy
    • The Meston Family Genealogy Site
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:28 AM »
Guys,

Thanks. I think the comment about the "about us" section is spot on.. Will need to work on making that clearer. The problem, as always is that once you've looked at something a thousand times, it makes sense to us, but not to the users, which is why the peer reviews are so helpful.

On the TOC & Transcriptions, it certainly makes sense to be able to jump directly to the relevant section (assuming the reader wants the text version, and not the images, and I should be able to add a secondary image group link as well in side the TOC). I'll play with that for the sections I've transcribed thus far. Then, it's just a matter of typing to get the rest of the book in... And then the fun starts with 30 years of updates to catch up on!

Cheers,