Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: HUGE Problem! Please help!  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Arman

HUGE Problem! Please help!
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:11:02 AM »
A few days ago, my PC gave me a shutting down prompt and it turns itself off.

Now, as long as the PC is plugged into the wall, my PC will boot up by itself, starts up for 3 seconds and then shuts itself off. I was unable to start the PC back up manually.

Then after 15 seconds, and it starts booting up by itself for a few seconds and shuts off again. This keeps happening as long as it's plugged in. I unplugged it for a few hours, but as soon as I plugged it back in, it started booting up by itself again and shutting back down continuously.

I replaced the power supply today, but nothing has changed. It is still giving me the same symptoms.

Can anyone help me?
 :-?  :? :-?

Dark Side

Re: HUGE Problem! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »
Can you say...virus?

Offline SteveW

• Master Jedi
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:23:57 AM »
Yeah, I also believe that's a symptom of some virus infections.

Although I have no experience dealing with that symptom, it would seem the key will be to regain control of the system. These are only some possible suggestions, and they are guesses.

Disconnect your internet connection so your computer cannot communicate with the web. You don't know what data it might be sending.

While the computer is booting, try to interrupt the boot sequence by pressing F2 or F8 (F10?) to get advanced boot options.

If you boot into Safe Mode, and you still can't prevent it from shutting down, you may need to boot from your Windows XP system CD/DVD. If possible, boot from a CD/DVD-ROM drive that is physically incapable of writing to the disc (i.e. NOT a R/W drive).

If you can get it running, do an immediate virus scan.

If none of this makes any sense, use another computer (or one at your local public library) to research the symptom online and its possible remedies.

The worst eventuality is that you may have to reinstall Windows. There are probably many things you can do first to try to avoid having to do that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:02:43 PM by SteveW »

Offline pgp_protector

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
If it's booting to Windows & shutting down I'd guess a Virus.
If it's still trying to load windows, but never finishes I'd guess hardware / BIOS problem

One test you can try is to boot to a Linux Live CD, If the system supports booting from CD, and it loads the Linux OS, then you're probabbley looking at a windows virus.