Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Best way to get ffmpeg installed for conversion to .flv  (Read 2527 times)

Offline pr0fess0r

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
Best way to get ffmpeg installed for conversion to .flv
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »
Hi
I have a dedicated server and I need to set up a site for a client that will allow users to upload movie files for conversion to .flv (no, it's not a YouTube clone... it'll only be live for a short time and it's being used for a competition). To that end I need LAME, ffmpeg, Ruby + flvtools2 etc installed with all of the codecs to convert a reasonable range of video files (.mov, .avi., .wmv, .3gpp, .3g2 etc) to FLV. Is it best to ask Lunarpages to do this for me, or can I do this myself (I've done it on our dev Ubuntu server) and if so, are there any Lunarpages-specific resources or tutorials I should know about?

cheers

Lucas

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
Re: Best way to get ffmpeg installed for conversion to .flv
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:33:54 PM »
Hi Lucas,

Of course, you can setup the needed software and libraries yourself, if you feel yourself experienced in that. Lunarpages admins' assistance with installations will cost $75/hour.

There is no LP-specific tutorials on installing the software you need (you are always welcome to publish your experience with setups on these forums to help other members of these community). Your server must be running Centos 4 and any appropriate tutorials you found for that distributive will work for you in most cases.
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov

Offline pr0fess0r

• Pong! (the videogame) Master
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
Thanks Vlad, I'm mostly there (following the tutorial at http://vexxhost.com/blog/category/ffmpeg-php/)
Am just stuck installing phpize to get the ffmpeg-php module configured, have posted a ticket/forum post for that

cheers!

Offline perestrelka

• Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:33:09 PM »

Maybe I am late, but I replied to the new post you created requesting additional details in case you still need a help ;)
Kind Regards,
Vlad Artamonov