Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: osCommerce T-STRING error  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
    • Brennie's Dreamscape & Spiritual Inspirations
osCommerce T-STRING error
« on: September 16, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »
Hi, I've seen this in previous posts but haven't seen any resolution in them. I noticed they're old posts so I'm hoping someone now knows the answer:

I've added my own text to my language files but receive the following error to all the pages I've edited:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/brenn4/public_html/dingleberrycandleco/catalog/includes/languages/english/care.php on line 18

For each page I've added it's a different line for the error. Here's a link for the above error:
http://www.dingleberrycandleco.com/catalog/care.php

And here's the code for that page:

*** BEGIN CODE

<?php
/*
  $Id: shipping.php,v 1.4 2002/11/19 01:48:08 dgw_ Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Candle Care & Safety');
define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Candle Care & Safety');

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', '1. Removing all wrappings, ribbons and tags before burning your new candle will prevent accidental fires.<br><br>

2. The first time you burn your new candle, it is recommended that you allow it to burn until the melt pool reaches the outer edge of the jar. On average, it can take one hour per inch of the candle's diameter. A complete first burn will allow your candle to have the longest burn life. After the first burn, allow your candle to burn no more than 4 hours at a time.<br /><br />

3. Don't forget to trim your candlewick to 1/4-1/2" before each burn, making sure no trimmings are left in the wax. Keeping the wicks trimmed will prevent smoking, soot and high flame.<br /><br />

4. Candles left near drafty areas can cause smoking and will also cause your candles to burn unevenly and may present a fire hazard.<br /><br />

5. Storing candles in a cool, dry place will prevent fading and fragrance loss.<br /><br />

6. It's always a safe practice to burn candles on protected, non-flammable, heat resistant surfaces, and to never burn them on, in or near anything flammable.<br /><br />

7. Extinguishing candles by gently blowing them out or using a candlesnuffer is the best method. Puting the lid back on the jar while burning or using water to put candles out are highly unadvisable.<br /><br />

8. To prevent heat damage or fire, discontinued use of your candle is recommended when only 1/2" of wax remains in the bottom of the container.<br /><br />

9. Candle containers may become hot while burning, therefore it is not safe to move them while burning or while the wax is still cooling.<br /><br />

10. Please keep burning and cooling candles out of reach of children and pets.<br /><br />

11. Never leave a burning candle unattended.');
?>

*** END CODE

I've combed thru it many times, on each page, and have saved it in Dreamweaver as a .php file and ran the verification tool which returned no errors. I'm at my witts end, especially after searching this forum and finding no resolution to previous posts, so I'm hoping someone's figured it out since those previous posts and can help me.

I'm GUESSING it has to do with the html line breaks I'm using, but I did an internet search for php line breaks & implemented what I found there, saved it & it's still giving me the same results, so I'm simply lost here.

Thanks in advance,
Brenda

Offline Brennie369

• Galactic Royalty
    • Brennie's Dreamscape & Spiritual Inspirations
Re: osCommerce T-STRING error
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »
Hi, I've actually found the solution to this & wanted to post it for others that may come across this as well. It's actually a very simple fix for the perplexing question is causes, heehee.

Here it is:

Within all your own text that you add to the pages, for all the apostraphes you add, i.e. say these words are amongst your text:

can't
you'll
it'll

and so on, you need to add the backward slash before the apostraphe, so they'll look like this:

can\'t
you\'ll
it\'ll

That's it! You just need to make sure you change all instances of them & it'll take care of it, & whalah!