Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: www.fussybaby.ca  (Read 2797 times)

Offline fussybaby

• Spacescooter Operator
www.fussybaby.ca
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I posted on this thread a couple of months ago and got some very helpful comments.  I wanted to check in again and see if I can get some more tips.  

It seems like the going has been very slow as far as getting people to the site.  I have done (and am continuing to do) everything I can possibly think of to promote the site, but it's still very slow-going.  The site is unique - I have not been able to find another site like it so I know there's a need for it out there.  But right now anyone googling any of the major terms associated with this topic would be unlikely to find me.  Any tips?

Also, how are my meta tags?  Do I need more?

<site no longer exists, but good general feedback below -- mod.>

THANKS!!!

Holly
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:43:51 AM by MrPhil »

Offline Drilldown

• Galactic Royalty
Re: www.fussybaby.ca
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:00:33 AM »
Hi Holly!  :java:
Google trusts older cobweb sites over new ones, so it takes time to build that trust. In addition, this month there is something else afoot. Many sites are losing pages rapidly from the main index. High ranking pages are not exempt from this apparent purge. Google has made it harder to detect which pages have "gone supplemental" and so it is harder to find and correct issues.

These seem to be the 7 pages that your site currently has in the main index:
Home, resources, about, forum, stories, coping, causes.

Please look at your log and let us know if you have current Google traffic to the rest of the pages not in this list.

:smiling:

There are some tweaks that could increase traffic to these main index pages. Make all the titles and descriptions different from each other. Change the title that says Index to Forum. Expand the title that says Stories. Be specific. Expand Coping with Fussiness to include the word infant or baby. Use varied synonyms for baby and for fussy. Each title should be as unique, and relevant to that page as you can make it. Aim for around 40 characters. Fussybaby (as a single word) is your brand, but not the only keyword you are going for, so make sure the title of each page contains words that searchers will look for.

You have a broad subject. Write articles that are very specific and include nitty-gritty details. The more general aspects are an arena where you won't be able to compete for a while. This means going for success in the long tail search. (queries with several words, not just one or two)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:03:50 AM by Drilldown »

Offline fussybaby

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:16:41 PM »
THANK YOU Drilldown!  That is very helpful.  One of the problems I have had is that I am using a template and the title is part of the template.  So, I'm not sure if it's possible to detach only the title from the template in DW?  Do you know?

How do I check my log to see if Google visitors are visiting my other pages?  It never even occured to me that those other pages aren't currently being indexed.  That's not good.

I noticed I'm not indexed on MSN.  Is that really bad?  I've submitted my link there a few times.

Thanks again for the insights!

Holly

Offline BenEskew

• Trekkie
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »
Hi Holly. Here's a few tips to enhance your seo.

1. Take the embedded style code which is in your header and place it in it's own file and link to it externally. Here's some help.
2. I notice that you link to another css file using the URI: "Style Sheet.css" which is very bad. Rename that file style_sheet.css or something else with no spaces or special characters.
3. If possible, hire a designer to redesign your layout utilizing only css, NO TABLES!
4. Your keywords list in your meta is way too much. The engines could possibly assume you're spamming.
5. Only use one (1) H1 tag per page, and make sure to have one!
6. The above suggestions from Drilldown here is good advice. Definitely do that. :)

Hope I helped.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:18:07 PM by BenEskew »

Offline Drilldown

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 05:25:08 AM »
Holly,
To clarify, today you have about 65 pages indexed, but might only have 7 in the main index with the rest in the supplemental index. If you search for "Google supplemental index" you will find an overwhelming flood of chatter on that. Some webmasters say their supplemental pages do not get any traffic, others are saying they do. With low PageRank there is a limit to how many pages Google keeps in the main index. Something is changing radically this month; it is hard to say right now which way it will go for you. Anyway, getting relevant backlinks won't hurt the situation.

Check the date on SEO advice before you take it seriously, because last year's strategy won't apply anymore. This is very rapidly in flux. Do go ahead and read up on this, but do not be overly concerned about supplemental. Wait and see later in September. Focus on things that are in your control.

For a new site, slow traffic is normal. Getting backlinks gradually is normal. If you suddenly appeared with a new site and got thousands of links right away, that would look bad.

Stop submitting to search engines.

Instead put that effort into contacting clubs for new mothers, mothers of twins clubs, La Leche League, day care providers, etc.

Search engine bots will find you via links, if they haven't already. Check your log by going in CPanel > stats > last visitors. There may be quite a lag between their visits and when indexing shows up, unless you have a news site.

About your page title, description, and keywords. These must each be relevant to the individual page, and as unique as possible. Search engines don't want duplicate content.

I'm looking at your titles in Google. This is a high priority to fix. Looks you may have since changed them, but the new ones haven't been indexed yet. The home page, resources, about, and coping all duplicate the same title and description. The "causes" page still has "template" for its title, but looks like that one is now a duplicate, too.

In Dreamweaver, you have been looking at design view. Open one of these pages and look for buttons up toward the left that say Code, Split, Design. Click on code view. Near the top, look for your title tag and change only the part between the tags.

To me, changing the code of the individual page is the easy, quick way, others may be able to tell you how to use templates. I don't think the page title should be part of a template, eh?  :-?

Make each title relevant only to that page, and be specific. Don't mess too long with it. Get it uploaded today. You will still be able to adjust them later on, too (but don't do that too often).

Change descriptions and the keywords in code view by replacing the text between the quote marks. There is a more complicated way to do this involving a dialog box in DW somewhere.

You put a lot of effort into your meta keywords, but it is not that easy to manipulate search engines, and they haven't trusted that for quite a long while. You might have gotten some old advice about keywords. You probably did not intend to spam, but that is what the SE will assume. "Online, constant, high, block" are words that won't help. "The" and "On" are not keywords.

Delete all but a handful of the most important keywords.

Only include keywords that appear on that particular page.

Do not spend much time on meta keywords.

Take it one thing at a time. Pat yourself on the back for progress.  :thumb:

Offline fussybaby

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »
Thanks for all the additional info Drilldown. 

I understand what you're saying and have actually worked on a lot of what you're saying.  I just went and updated my keywords to only about 10-15 to avoid looking like I'm spamming.

Here are some of my issues that have frustrated me in getting the site to be like I want it.

-I had the template designed for me.  The title, meta tags, header, footer...everything but the section of the page in the middle is part of the template.  Until a few weeks ago, I had detached all my pages from the template and could make each title specific to each page. (but then was left to manually update each and every page every time I changed something.  Now I can't (frustrating!!).  Maybe if I post in the html help section of this board someone can help me make the title and keywords  separate from the template.

-I have contacted a lot of relevant websites about doing reciprocal links.  I have a few linking back to me already, although it appears Google hasn't noticed them yet. Is that normal? It's been a month or so since sites started linking to mine. I also have a couple of parenting sites that are actually going to be doing features on my site in Sept so hopefully that will help a bit.

Visitors are going to my supplemental pages according to the log.

Wow, what a learning curve!  But I'm having fun learning all this stuff   :smiling:

I really appreciate all the feedback.  Thx!

Offline fussybaby

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 08:47:21 AM »
Hi BenEskew,

thanks for the tips.  Re: the external style sheet...is that so it loads faster?  I will read that link you sent later . Thanks for that!

Hi Holly. Here's a few tips to enhance your seo.

1. Take the embedded style code which is in your header and place it in it's own file and link to it externally. Here's some help.
2. I notice that you link to another css file using the URI: "Style Sheet.css" which is very bad. Rename that file style_sheet.css or something else with no spaces or special characters.
3. If possible, hire a designer to redesign your layout utilizing only css, NO TABLES!
4. Your keywords list in your meta is way too much. The engines could possibly assume you're spamming.
5. Only use one (1) H1 tag per page, and make sure to have one!
6. The above suggestions from Drilldown here is good advice. Definitely do that. :)

Hope I helped.  :thumb:

Offline Drilldown

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »
The external CSS style sheet is downloaded once, with the first page, so the rest of the pages afterward load faster. When you make a style change to the CSS, the effect is to the whole site in one shot. This is only for presentational factors, not content. Seems to me that if you had an external style sheet that would take care of most of what you need the template for, but I might be missing something since I'm not familiar with templates.

At least have your designer remove the title, meta description and meta keywords from the template. Those are unique to each page, so I'm puzzled as to why they'd be templated. Could this be as simple as moving them up before the template in the code? I don't know.

When you say visitors are going to your supplemental pages, that sounds good. Are they referred directly from Google, or are they navigating to the pages?

Try to get one way links. Reciprocals aren't valued highly; don't let them comprise the bulk of your profile. It might take several months for backlinks to have effect. Google doesn't show all those they know about. Try Yahoo:
linkdomain:exampledotcom -site:exampledotcom

When you have time, check that the links on your site or from external sources are consistently with the www or without it, but not both ways. (canonical issue)

The features in September sound great!  :thumb:

Offline fussybaby

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 09:03:36 AM »
Drilldown - Hope you're still around.  I've been noticing that visitors are only finding my other pages by themselves...google has indexed my other pages but seems to only be leading them to my homepage.  How can I change that?  For instance, I have an article here: http://www.fussybaby.ca/breastfeedingdairy.html which is (I think) a great resource for people, but you can't find it through googling any search words related to the article.  Help?!

Offline Drilldown

• Galactic Royalty
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »
That's too bad that Google hasn't chosen to index all your quality content yet. This will improve in time. When you have more links from relevant sites pointing to yours, G will put more of your pages in the main index.  :smiling:

In a nutshell, the way you link to a given page on your own site tells the search engine how important it is to you. Same as for the ways others link to your site.

You can help the search engine choose your best ones by pointing links to them from your pages that are in the main index already. Those are mainly the ones in your top nav bar now.

Google shows about 152 pages for your site today. An educated guess says Google has 8 of your pages in the main index, the others in supplemental. You have 8 linked to from your home page, but they aren't exactly the same 8 G chose. G left out Articles. Possibly because it has thinner content and more links out? Not sure why, but it looks like they picked the profile of Neeenah instead for the main index.

The dairy allergy page you want to promote is not linked to from the home page. Since you can't bring it up with a search in Google, the visitors who found their way there must have clicked Articles, then clicked to it from there.

In order for it to be in a position to collect PageRank, you could link to it directly from the home page. Or you could have another site link directly to the page you want to promote.  :smiling: