Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Music on my site  (Read 4376 times)

Offline joangieson

• Trekkie
Music on my site
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
This is probably a dumb question but I put Wimpy.com on my site and I have hundreds of songs that are not mp3s so I can't put them on this player.  I searched the web to see if there was a way that WMA files could be converted to mp3s and found out that they are in competition. Now I need to know if anyone knows a good site that has free mp3s.  Most of the songs I want are old.   :goof:  My site: http://HandlesandSandals.com.  Joan

Offline hamburger

• hamburglar
  • Master Jedi
  • I used to be Human....2.0b
Re: Music on my site
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:20:53 PM »
You can convert unprotected wma to mp3.
google "convert wma to mp3".

It is against the terms of service to have copyrighted articles on your site.

If you don't own the copyright to those songs on your page you must remove them.

Offline joangieson

• Trekkie
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:11:25 AM »
Even if I own the cds and or paid for the downloads?  Joan

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »
Even if I own the cds and or paid for the downloads?  Joan

Of course not. When you purchase a CD or buy a download, you are not buying ownership of the music -- you are merely buying a license to use it in various personal ways. These do not include public performance or redistribution to others, which your site would be doing. You would have to get a public performance/resale license from the music owners (like a radio station does) and pay royalties.

Quote from: joangieson
Most of the songs I want are old.

If they're sufficiently old (something your grandparents listened to, perhaps), they might be out of copyright and in the public domain. But you'd have to check on a song-by-song basis.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline joangieson

• Trekkie
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:28:26 AM »
OK, I took the music off my site.  Joan

Offline Jack Flash

• Purveyor of Pontification
  • Space Explorer
  • When Jack gets back you are in soooo much trouble.
    • House Of Facts
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:19:48 AM »
This is probably a dumb question but I put Wimpy.com on my site and I have hundreds of songs that are not mp3s so I can't put them on this player.  I searched the web to see if there was a way that WMA files could be converted to mp3s and found out that they are in competition. Now I need to know if anyone knows a good site that has free mp3s.  Most of the songs I want are old.   :goof:  My site: http://HandlesandSandals.com.  Joan

Have you given any thought to midi files?  These can be used by the player, and if your site is not commercial there are tons of free midi's all over the net, oldies and even smoldie oldies.